[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
VALENTINES DAY : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

VALENTINES DAY

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
LilliesCarol
Colonel

VALENTINES DAY

Postby LilliesCarol » Tue Feb 14, 2017 11:55 am

How do you express love? Is it bringing a quick bouquet of flowers and chocolates bought at Walmart? Or, do you look for something special to show that you really appreciate the person you love? Also, do you express those feelings verbally or through the special things you do for her/him on a daily basis?

My loved one is gone, but in my Valentine heart of hearts, I still love and appreciate the things he did for me and the laughs we had all through the years. Here is one of our love tales that happened several years before he died. I hope you will laugh a little just as I did rereading it.

A WHOLE LOT OF GARBAGE

Scene: The kitchen two days before Thanksgiving 2012
Characters: My husband and I

Since Saturday, I’ve been under the weather with a nasty cold; but the big holiday is coming and there is much work to be done. Grandma’s dressing must be made ahead of time so the flavor goes through. The Christmas tree must be trimmed and all the decorations in place by Thanksgiving Day---it is our tradition.

My husband is very handy in the kitchen and enjoys helping, having owned a restaurant. So he volunteered to help. However, as all married couples do, we had a little tiff about how to work the food processor. He had it on the sink counter and could not get the container in the right slot to make it run. So I went to help. Wrong.

Seems I couldn’t get it to work either, so I grabbed it off the counter to take to the table where I could sit down and study the dang thing. Wrong, again, wayyyy, way wrong. We have indoor/outdoor carpeting in the kitchen and my rubber soled tenny did not turn with me.Yep, I fell---all 5’8” of me and extremely well padded around the rump. And where did I land? Right into the tall kitchen garbage can and smashed it. Thank God it wasn’t full of garbage, mostly full of air and now my well padded rump. So there I sat, laughing so hard with the food processor on my lap, wondering how in the heck we were going to get me up out of there. As many of you know, my husband is 94 and I am 80, so you can see our dilemma. Still laughing, he brought a kitchen chair for me to brace myself on one side, while on the other side he ever so faithfully and lovingly began pulling me up, with the plastic garbage can still wrapped around my butt. Just then my oldest daughter got back from the post office and said, “What happened to you?” By this time, hubby and I are doubled over laughing so hard we couldn’t talk. She finally figured it out as she helped pull me up and then removed the garbage can from my butt.

I’m fine and believe it or not, the garbage can puffed back into shape except for the swinging cover. But ingenious hubby got out the right tools and fixed that too. Oh yes, we did get the dressing made and it is in the fridge waiting to be eaten on Turkey Day. Also the house is trimmed and ready. SO LET THE HOLIDAYS BEGIN. ENOUGH OF THIS GARBAGE!!!

Long, long afterward in an oak I found the arrow still unbroke
And the song from beginning to end, I found again in the heart of a friend
Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Rosedarling
Sergeant First Class

Re: VALENTINES DAY

Postby Rosedarling » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:08 am

Happy Valentine's Day, Carol!
Formerly known as rosebud
https://rosaliehovis.wordpress.com

Return to Conversation question