[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Is it TRUE that most books SELL LESS THAN 100 copies??? : Tips and Advice • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Is it TRUE that most books SELL LESS THAN 100 copies???

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
mikeyboy_esq
Private E-2

Is it TRUE that most books SELL LESS THAN 100 copies???

Postby mikeyboy_esq » Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:13 pm

Is it TRUE what they say about most published books only selling less than 100 copies in its lifetime? One book marketing consultant that I spoke to last month told me that something like 87% of all published books (including both traditionally published and self-published) sell less than 100 copies in its lifetime. But I have never seen any hard evidence that this is true.

As a side note, I was relieved that my new book finally sold its 100th copy this weekend (over its first 103 days)... not exactly on the NYT best seller list, but at least its on a steady pace and I finally broke a hundred. :mrgreen:
Mikeyboy_esq
proud author of:
1) Engaging College Students: A Fun and Edgy Guide for Professors
2) 14 Steps to Self-Publishing a Book
http://www.engagingcollegestudents.com

Brien Sz
Sergeant Major of the Army

Re: Is it TRUE that most books SELL LESS THAN 100 copies???

Postby Brien Sz » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:06 pm

I heard that at a Writer's Digest Conference but it referred to self published books.

mikeyboy_esq
Private E-2

Postby mikeyboy_esq » Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:43 pm

Thanks for the response. Did they happen to say if that number of book sales was for all formats of self-published books, or just print books? It seems like with eBooks (which are typically cheaper than print books), you are more likely to hit 100 sales. I'd like to see some kind of survey or hard data that supports that conclusion, but I haven't been able to find any yet.
Mikeyboy_esq
proud author of:

Brien Sz
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Brien Sz » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:39 am

The speaker left it as a general number. He was a marketing guy who wrote a business book that sold 9 copies in a year. He then pitched how he learned how to sell thousands upon thousands of books every year.

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:32 pm

Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

mikeyboy_esq
Private E-2

Postby mikeyboy_esq » Mon Feb 13, 2017 2:29 pm

robjvargas,
Thanks for posting that article. It was interesting to read. Oddly enough, I know Derek M. b/c I hired him to design my book's cover last year (he did a fantastic job on my cover in my opinion, but he took a little longer than I expected due to the fact he was finishing up his Ph.D. at the same time). Derek does hang around a lot of other authors, and I've heard him speak during writing conferences, on Youtube vids, etc. In fact, he recently rented a castle in Europe and invited his author buddies to join him and use it as a writing retreat...what a cool idea! Anyway, I'm not surprised at all if Derek has a few well-heeled author friends who are rolling in the dough from their book royalties. But those authors are probably few and far between and certainly don't represent the average author (certainly not me anyway).

Back on topic... I've come to the conclusion that perhaps there is no solid data to support these claims that the "average" author sells X number of books. Surely, the big 5 publishing houses keep tabs of their sales per book, but I'm sure they don't publish that proprietary data. Even if they did, it probably wouldn't be representative of self-published author book sales. I just wish I could find some kind of survey results on this topic with hard data to support it. I just haven't found it yet (if it exists).
Mikeyboy_esq
proud author of:

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:45 pm

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:51 pm

Return to Tips and Advice