[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Chapter issues : Tips and Advice • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Chapter issues

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
IamNotCormacMccarthy
Private E-1

Re: Chapter issues

Postby IamNotCormacMccarthy » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:27 pm

In general there are no rules regarding chapter length or structure. I prefer to structure my chapters into manageable chunks for the reader. This could mean shorter chapters or periodic breaks for POV or scene changes. I like to give the reader a "break" when she needs it. As a reader, there are few things that drive me crazier than books that have dozen of pages of uninterrupted text. I might have to run out or go the bathroom or grab a beer or something, and there's nowhere for me to put the book down! I've stopped reading books because of that...

Mina21
Private E-1

Postby Mina21 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:35 am

Rather than a set number of pages or words, chapters should merely be dividers for different events or ideas that happen with the story. I wouldn't put a limit on how long or short they should be, in fact I'd go so far as to say to do so could be harmful to the continuity of your story.

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:05 am

Dreaming Imrryr
Master Sergeant

Postby Dreaming Imrryr » Wed Nov 01, 2017 5:30 pm

Mina21 wrote:
> Rather than a set number of pages or words, chapters should merely be
> dividers for different events or ideas that happen with the story. I
> wouldn't put a limit on how long or short they should be, in fact I'd go so
> far as to say to do so could be harmful to the continuity of your story.

Nice.

Previous

Return to Tips and Advice