[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
How to get better at grammar? : Tips and Advice • Page 3 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

How to get better at grammar?

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
williamadams

Re: How to get better at grammar?

Postby williamadams » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:26 am

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby cynicalwanderer » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:37 pm

"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

HaydenChandler
Private E-1

Postby HaydenChandler » Wed Dec 14, 2016 3:40 am

Here is how i developing my grammar skills:
- i'm reading as much as i can
- completing a lot of studing tests in Internet
- when i have a good mood, writing a short stories about my previous day.
Enjoy the very best Personal Statement Writing Service which is . Professional team will save your time and nerves and this guys are working under your task due to fully student sutisfaction.

Caribean
Private E-1

Postby Caribean » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:11 am

Hello :-)

I am a native German speaker and I look up information on grammar, vocabulary, and style in Swan's Practical English Usage. If you aren't sure what preposition you have to use after a verb or if you need to use infinitive after one specific verb, you can have a look at the index. Then you are referred to a page with an explanation, grammar tips, and examples how to use it.

This reference book has helped me throughout my studies.

carroll
Private E-1

Postby carroll » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:37 am

Mina21
Private E-1

Postby Mina21 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:30 am

Reading and then applying the grammar you've learned to written work. that's the only way I know how anyway.

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:01 am

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:34 pm

Let me clear up a misconception: grammar involves the structure of the language – the arrangement of words, clauses, and other word groups to form understandable communication - and usage involves errors in punctuation, word choice, and the like.

Rob is correct in stating that studying a foreign language is most useful in learning the grammar of our native language. Reading extensively also is necessary, and if you haven't picked up a basic command of English grammar by about eighth grade, you'll need to do some remediation work, more than just reading so-called grammar texts (find an eight-grade level writing and grammar text to do so).

As for usage problems, several sources come to mind: The Associated Press Manual of Style; Eats, Shoots and Leaves, and the misnamed "Grammarly" and "Grammar Girl" online. And there are others (not including The Chicago Manual of Style, which was created more for publishers than ordinary users.

But if all else fails, read extensively. Try to find well-edited general-interest magazines (like The Smithsonian; stay away from most hobby mags (like the car magazine which referred to Titan as being Jupiter's moon, for example), as I find them fun but not well-edited, if at all.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:21 pm

ostarella
Lieutenant

Postby ostarella » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:52 pm

High school grammar books are also helpful to learn when to capitalize, to use periods at the end of sentences, how to form paragraphs, etc. It makes it much easier to read and understand. I might add that whenever one writes, no matter where one is writing, whether it be on forums, on social media, letters to the editor, novels or essays, one should follow those basic rules so they become automatic.
Formerly shadowwalker
http://www.writersdigest.com/forum/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=26159

http://writerswriting.proboards.com/forum

PreviousNext

Return to Tips and Advice