[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
How much does it COST to Self-Publish a Book? : General Questions & Discussions • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

How much does it COST to Self-Publish a Book?

mikeyboy_esq
Private E-2

How much does it COST to Self-Publish a Book?

Postby mikeyboy_esq » Sun Jan 22, 2017 1:41 pm

When I began writing my first book a little over 4 years ago, I never stopped to consider how much it would cost to produce the final product, bring it to market and then spread the word to potential customers. I simply started typing and assumed the cost would be minimal. Fast forward to today (approximately 3 months after I published Engaging College Students: A Fun and Edgy Guide for Professors), and the reality of just how expensive this endeavor actually was has finally sunk in. To date, I have spent a GRAND TOTAL of approximately…

[drum roll please]

Seven Thousand Smack-a-roos. :shock: Really? Really, really? Holy Toledo! Where did all that money go? :?

For anyone thinking about self-publishing your future book, you might be interested in the breakdown of costs to write, self-publish and market my new non-fiction book in three formats (eBook, paperback and hard cover) via CreateSpace, KDP and Ingram Spark. This information is listed in the article linked below and should give folks a rough idea of what to expect if they decide to take a similar path down the exciting road of Self-publishing Lane.

Please let me know what you think about the above article.
Mikeyboy_esq
proud author of:
1) Engaging College Students: A Fun and Edgy Guide for Professors
2) 14 Steps to Self-Publishing a Book
http://www.engagingcollegestudents.com

Dreaming Imrryr
Master Sergeant

Re: How much does it COST to Self-Publish a Book?

Postby Dreaming Imrryr » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:19 am

Last edited by Dreaming Imrryr on Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikeyboy_esq
Private E-2

Postby mikeyboy_esq » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:04 pm

Mikeyboy_esq
proud author of:

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:34 pm

How many of your books that cost you $7000 have you sold? And how much did you sell them for?
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

mikeyboy_esq
Private E-2

Postby mikeyboy_esq » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:03 pm

Mikeyboy_esq
proud author of:

Mina21
Private E-1

Postby Mina21 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:43 am

Well I guess this is a very subjective question. It depends how many edits you're going through and how much you're willing to spend on marketing once the book is written. The key step, however, is actually getting it done and deciding on all the technical aspects of the book. I was reading up about it the other day and came across that explains the nuts and bolts of creating an ebook. After that you need to decide when it's finished, hide it away and not look at it for at least a month. After that, pull it out and look at it afresh, then conduct your own edits. When you're satisfied that you can't do anymore, that's when you bring in an editor to polish and hone your work. It's about quality in this case, so I wouldn't go for the cheapest option when looking for an editor - after all, it'll pay back dividends in the coming months. When you're satisfied with the end product, that's when you start marketing that sucker. And as for the cost of this, it all depends how much you sink into it. The more you market, the further it will reach and (hopefully) the more you will return in sales.

MPhillip
Private E-1

Postby MPhillip » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:06 pm

Last edited by MPhillip on Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rob-lost
Corporal

Postby rob-lost » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:32 am

From a business perspective, We all have to assign a value to the time we spend on our works. Saying "I spent $50 on <self-publishing> and sold four copies at $12.50, so I broke even." Isn't true.

You spent X hours writing this work. Maybe Y hours editing and polishing. Maybe Z hours trying to convince someone to publish it. All those hours have a value. $1/hour? $7/hour? $25/hour?

You have to account for every expense that went into making that work.

If, that is, you want to consider this what you do for a living. If you want to say that those X, Y, and Z hours were hours you'd have been writing anyway, so no "cost" involved, that's up to you. But one of the first rules of entrepreneurship is, "Pay yourself first."

Just remember: Writing is an art. Publishing is a business.
Write for the love of writing? Try my Writers Writing forum
http://writerswriting.proboards.com

sammy2
Private First Class

Postby sammy2 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:12 pm

[quote="rob-lost"]From a business perspective, We all have to assign a value to the time we spend on our works. Saying "I spent $50 on <self-publishing> and sold four copies at $12.50, so I broke even." Isn't true.

You spent X hours writing this work. Maybe Y hours editing and polishing. Maybe Z hours trying to convince someone to publish it. All those hours have a value. $1/hour? $7/hour? $25/hour?

You have to account for every expense that went into making that work.

If, that is, you want to consider this what you do for a living. If you want to say that those X, Y, and Z hours were hours you'd have been writing anyway, so no "cost" involved, that's up to you. But one of the first rules of entrepreneurship is, "Pay yourself first."

Just remember: Writing is an art. Publishing is a business.[/quote]

For many writing is a hobby. Publishing is a lagniappe. Putting a novel on kindle for free makes many authors feel good. And the time they spent is irrelevant as it was recreation not a job.

rob-lost
Corporal

Postby rob-lost » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:37 pm

[quote="sammy2"]
For many writing is a hobby. Publishing is a lagniappe. Putting a novel on kindle for free makes many authors feel good. And the time they spent is irrelevant as it was recreation not a job.[/quote]
Except it isn't. That book, novella, whatever, it's a body of work.

Like I said, if you don't want to consider that, fine. But this isn't some gift. You WORKED to make it so. You even worked to make it an ebook or whatever form you self-pub it in.

People sell via garage sales without expectations of profit. Or bring their stuff to farmer's markets.

You're certainly not obligated to turn a profit. If that's not a priority for you, fine. But if it is... Pay yourself first.
Write for the love of writing? Try my Writers Writing forum
http://writerswriting.proboards.com

Next

Return to General Questions & Discussions