[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Free Kindle eBooks...But Not Me? : Tips and Advice • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Free Kindle eBooks...But Not Me?

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
Spinners
Private E-1

Free Kindle eBooks...But Not Me?

Postby Spinners » Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:21 pm

Does anyone know the secret to pricing a self-published eBook on Amazon's Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) to sell for FREE? While Amazon will only allow me to self-publish an eBook for $0.99 minimum; yet, countless websites will promote your FREE Amazon eBook for free! So, what gives? Amazon could not really explain it to my satisfaction. Do I have to sign-up for that Kindle Exclusive ePub service that grants Amazon exclusive rights? I hope others in this Forum know exactly what I mean and a work-around for it. Very annoying! Last, I should say I am not looking to price my debut book as perma-free. Hopefully, this is not an Amazon requirement in order to have the privilege to price one's eBook as FREE?

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Re: Free Kindle eBooks...But Not Me?

Postby cynicalwanderer » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:02 am

As I recall when I tried to do this, Amazon will set your book to free only if it sees it listed as free elsewhere. The process seemed somewhat arcane and I couldn't be bothered fiddling around with it in the end. That was a while ago, things might have changed by now.

Other than that, I believe the KDP program lets you set 5 free days within every few months as part of a promotion, and I've done that a number of times. Really rockets up the downloads too.
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

Brien Sz
Sergeant Major

Postby Brien Sz » Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:24 pm

I am not a personal believer in 'free'. I understand people may want to get the 'word' out on their book but if you want to be considered a professional, you don't work for free. Can you discount, absolutely, but free, never. I've juggled a few hats in my day, but I never did any of them for free. Once you start offering free, people will expect it. Set your standards high - discount here and there but be royalty not the peasant.

Spinners
Private E-1

Postby Spinners » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:23 pm

Thanks for the advice...will consider and look into these things.

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:03 am

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:08 am

Brien Sz
Sergeant Major

Postby Brien Sz » Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:58 pm

The family and friends option is almost instantly noticeable. You can tell because within a weeks time maybe two, a barrage of 4 and 5 star reviews swamp the book - by swamp, I mean 10+ or 20+in that time frame. This is almost unheard of from lesser known writers. Pay attention to review dates, it generally gives it away.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:30 am

The only free Kindle book I have is the first in a series of six. It has garnered a fair amount of reviews and downloads - one day alone someone downloaded 200 copies, and I have no idea why.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:30 pm

Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby cynicalwanderer » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:21 pm

"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

Return to Tips and Advice