[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Pen Name vs Real Name : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Pen Name vs Real Name

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
roda havet
Captain

Pen Name vs Real Name

Postby roda havet » Wed Feb 01, 2017 7:54 am

I'm trying to decide if I want to use my 'real name' or a 'pen name' on my books, which I will more than likely be self publishing. But the thing is when I go and research which one is better I get mixed reviews. Can anyone tell me what the pros and cons are of 'pen name' vs 'real name'? :)
Last edited by roda havet on Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

pls
Site Admin

Re: Pin Name vs Real Name

Postby pls » Wed Feb 01, 2017 9:40 am

I believe you mean "pen" name, not "pin" name, Roda.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

roda havet
Captain

Re: Pin Name vs Real Name

Postby roda havet » Wed Feb 01, 2017 10:21 am

:oops: OOPS! I'll change that. I guess I wasn't paying attention when I was typing. :)
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

max2011
Captain

Re: Pen Name vs Real Name

Postby max2011 » Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:43 pm

one pro I can think of is trying to keep your personal and writer life separate.. but it takes work, especially since eventually readers will make the connection

Brien Sz
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Brien Sz » Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:54 pm

A name is a name. I wouldn't know an author's real name from a pen name unless I was told. And then, does it matter? When you self publish, all the royalties go to your real name. The only name that counts is the one on the tax documents. If your self published book really takes off, reconcile the issue then, otherwise, I wouldn't worry about. Also, in a world where anyone can look you up and find out about you or find you, the initial anonymity isn't a bad thing.

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:52 am

I asked because I was told that I should look at using a pen name instead of my real name. :)

thesundancekid
Private E-1

Postby thesundancekid » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:05 am

I personally really like the idea of using your first (full, not shortening) name and your middle name as your author name. That's my plan if I ever manage to get published : )

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:26 pm

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:28 pm

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Mon Feb 06, 2017 2:59 pm

Next

Return to Conversation question