[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Paperback versions of books produced by Kindle : General Questions & Discussions • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Paperback versions of books produced by Kindle

Oldtimer
Colonel

Paperback versions of books produced by Kindle

Postby Oldtimer » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:18 pm

I mentioned in another thread that I was looking into having some of my books printed by Kindle using their Beta program and I thought you might be interested to learn of my progress.

Actually, there hasn't been any progress. I completed the first stage of the process satisfactorily with two books, but ground to a halt when I had to use Kindle's Online Previewer. With both books, I couldn't open the Previewer to approve the files that had been taken from CreateSpace. The Kindle Tech Team looked into the problem. They were able to open the Previewer with whatever files they had chosen to view and their only suggestion was that I didn't have the latest version of Flash Player installed on my computer. I tried downloading the latest version, only to receive the message "Flash Player is integrated with Microsoft Edge in Windows 10. You do not need to install Flash Player."

Okay. I don't want to install, I want to update, but there are no instructions as to how to do that in Windows 10. Apparently I have to rely on Microsoft Edge keeping up-to-date ... which it isn't.

I tried to install the latest version of Flash Player using Firefox but my computer security system prevented that, because the URL started with https, not http, and was not (in its view) secure. So I am at an impasse.

I reported this situation to the Kindle Tech Team, too, and they are again looking into what can be done. I will keep you posted as to developments ... if there ever are any!
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Re: Paperback versions of books produced by Kindle

Postby Oldtimer » Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:59 am

Here's an update on my progress so far.

The process went smoothly for both "The Gift" and "Truth Will Out" until I had to proof them on KDP's online previewer. Try as I might, I couldn't open the Previewer. It appears that Flash Player lay at the root of the problem. After changing browsers (from Microsoft Edge to Internet Explorer) and sending screen prints to the KDP Tech Team, they suggested that I change to yet another browser, and recommended Google Chrome. This time it worked and I successfully approved both books.

After approval, I had to set prices. I was told a minimum price and the royalty that would give me. I upped the price by less than a dollar and checked the selling prices for the books on Amazon and six other market places (all Amazon-related).

I will keep you updated on what happens next in case any of you wish to follow the same route.
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.

mikeyboy_esq
Private E-2

Postby mikeyboy_esq » Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:28 pm

Thx for the update. I have been reading this thread b/c I am close to publishing my 2nd book and trying to decide between doing the paperback on CreateSpace (which I used for my first book and so I'm already familiar with their process) or KDP's new paperback option. I called KDP yesterday and found out about the lack of getting proof copies by mail (something that I liked getting from CreateSpace). It sounds like (based on your experience) that KDP still has some bugs to fix. So I think I'll stick to CreateSpace to distribute my new paperback. (I'm also going to use KDP for the eBook tho - just like I did for my first book).

Thanks again for sharing your experience with KDP paperback and for keeping us updated.
Mikeyboy_esq
proud author of:
1) Engaging College Students: A Fun and Edgy Guide for Professors
2) 14 Steps to Self-Publishing a Book
http://www.engagingcollegestudents.com

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:54 am

I am not sure why you feel the need for physical proof copies. Didn't you buy proof copies from CreateSpace before your book was published? I might be misunderstanding the process, but I thought the benefit of using Kindle Paperback was that the process only used the CreateSpace files which had already been physically approved. In any event you can use the online previewer (provided that Flash Player cooperates) and you can make changes if necessary. I am interested in your self-publishing experience. Please keep us updated with your progress. Good luck.

mikeyboy_esq
Private E-2

Postby mikeyboy_esq » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:31 am

I could be wrong, but I think there are 2 different ways you can use Kindle to publish a paperback.

First, you can convert your existing CreateSpace paperback to a KDP paperback. I could do that for my existing book (called Engaging College Students), and the upside would be that I could see both my paperback sales and Kindle eBook sales on Amazon in one location (KDP's website). That would be nice, but I haven't done it yet and not sure if I will.

Second, I believe you can upload a brand new (never published before) paperback book onto KDP. If you do this, you can't order proof copies by mail before publication (at least not yet). So instead, you have to use KDP's digital previewer.

This second scenario is the reason I want to use CreateSpace for my second book that I'm hoping to publish soon (NOT my Engaging College Students book). I hope that makes sense.
Mikeyboy_esq
proud author of:

RyanT
Private E-1

Postby RyanT » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:22 pm

One good reason to stick with createspace for publishing is paperback books is that createspace gives you access to their expanded distribution option. This actually allows you to get sales into bookstores and other online retailers. Often times they will even buy in bulk (20 copies or more at one time).

So basically createspace gives you more exposure. KDP does not. Until they give me that option i'll be sticking with createspace for publishing my paperback books.

Also createspace allows for you to create discount codes and KDP does not.
Like books? Check us out at http://www.pinnaclepublish.com
Need help promoting your book? Get help at http://www.pinnaclepublish.com/blog

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:13 pm

before you pick any publishing service you should check for complaints and problems others have encountered
check google, scam reporting sites, as well as creatspaces own forum before deciding.
for whatever problems createspace has keep in mind that many of their competitors are just as bad or worse

i have followed these vanity publishing services for decades along with real self publishing options
while createspace is one of the least worst that does not mean they are good -- dependign on your needs

(booksurge was an early bad POD 'publisher' aka vanity press like operation)

At the end of 2009, the name BookSurge was retired (after previously being called Digitz, and then GreatUnpublished) and that business was rolled under the CreateSpace name. Since there were so many complaints about BookSurge posted online , we investigated CreateSpace’s forum in April, 2010 to see if things had gotten better. Changing a name doesn’t make a business instantly better! You can see our 2010 findings (they’re not pretty!) HERE. We checked again in 2011 and there were, once again, plenty of new complaints.

CreateSpace claims to be “free” (if you follow all their rules and specs to the letter) but they sure can be expensive! If you attempt their “free” service, they try to upsell you on their expensive services along the way. Some authors are spending hundreds to thousands of dollars to get their books published at CreateSpace. In fact, for comparable services, the price is $1,486.00 (OUCH!) at CreateSpace.
these numbers may be different now

here is one place to at least check out for info first before picking anybody especially createspace
http://writersweekly.com/whispers-and-w ... ints-first

problems aside, amazon and createspace do offer some benefits because of amazons monopoly size
so do consider all pertinent factors in your decision to get your book out there

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Sun Feb 05, 2017 1:21 pm

mikeyboy_esq
Private E-2

Postby mikeyboy_esq » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:35 am

Found an excellent article on the new KDP print books vs. CS. http://selfpublishingadvice.org/kdp-pap ... irst-look/
Mikeyboy_esq
proud author of:

Return to General Questions & Discussions