[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
How did you know you were ready to self publish? : General Questions & Discussions • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

How did you know you were ready to self publish?

newbradford
Private E-1

How did you know you were ready to self publish?

Postby newbradford » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:18 am

I am right on the edge of self publishing a novel, but I am still slightly holding back. I've done the rounds for an agent and a publisher, and while I received a little encouragement, I also heard the standard, "not right for us, good luck," a lot. I strongly believe in the potential of the book, and the strength of the audience but I am still a little nervous about taking that last step and putting it out there on my own. There are so many questions and concerns, and even using a larger platform there isn't anyone there to help along the way without spending money that is not currently in the budget. I'm not an artist or a graphic designer, so cover design is problematic. I've had readers, but I am still terrified I might miss important editing mistakes. What it really comes down to, is I am slightly scared knowing that it will all be on me, success and failure.

I'm hoping to get a little help, not with the technical question (at least not today) but with the more abstract idea. What was your tipping point? How did you know that you were ready and self publishing was a good idea for you personally?

pls
Site Admin

Re: How did you know you were ready to self publish?

Postby pls » Sat Dec 05, 2015 9:59 am

My tipping point was when I had four or five novels, unpublished, piled up, and I decided to get them out of the way so I could concentrate on my other books-in-progress. It sounds as if you're not ready to publish if you still have editing questions and no cover.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Finne
Private E-1

Postby Finne » Thu Dec 31, 2015 11:23 am

Personally, I've always planned to self-publish, especially with my first novel. I think it's a great way to break into the market and get your feet wet, so to speak.

I just published my first short story on Amazon a couple of weeks ago, and I was struggling with the cover design, too. I ended up going to Fiverr.com and working with a graphic designer there. Chances are that will be your least expensive option, and the quality of work is fantastic.

Brien Sz
Sergeant Major

Postby Brien Sz » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:19 pm

I sent queries around for nearly two years. I received a few nice rejections that were encouraging (as much as rejection can) but mostly the standard, no thank you. I decided to self publish. It's been just over a year, sold over a hundred copies with little marketing, received 5 star reviews on Amazon and it averages a 4 star rating on Goodreads. Who knows, maybe some day it will catch on. I always felt it was a strong work and the overall consensus so far has satisfied my soul that the work is pretty solid. It has encouraged me to write with more fervor and passion. I am self publishing a second book just because, while a third is currently making the rounds with agents. Presently working on a fourth.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Sun Jan 03, 2016 12:32 pm

I knew I was ready when my seventy-seventh birthday came around and an agent, to whom I'd sent a manuscript six months prior, confessed that she hadn't even read it. Another one took the best part of a year to say: "Not for us". I don't have that much time available to fritter it away waiting for agents to respond. That's my reason for self-publishing and so far I haven't regretted it.
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

ARLEN
Private E-1

Postby ARLEN » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:18 pm

I keep reading posts from folks who used professional graphic designers for their cover art when self publishing. I only used the cover art producer on Amazon's KDP site. I thought it looked pretty good, as intriguing if not more so than a lot of the other book cover art I've seen, but perhaps I made a mistake. How important is this? How much does it cost for professional cover art?

mikeyboy_esq
Private E-2

Postby mikeyboy_esq » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:27 pm

It was an easy decision for me b/c I decided to self-publish as soon as I was rejected by *ALL* of the traditional publishing companies that I pitched my book proposal to. LOL So I really didn't have a choice. In the end, I'm glad I self-published b/c I learned a lot about setting up a business (for my book publishing and sales) and I get to keep more royalties as compared to traditional publishing.
Mikeyboy_esq
proud author of:
1) Engaging College Students: A Fun and Edgy Guide for Professors
2) 14 Steps to Self-Publishing a Book
http://www.engagingcollegestudents.com

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:30 am

Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Fri Jan 13, 2017 4:20 pm

Return to General Questions & Discussions