[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Worldbuilding - Generating Institute blueprints : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Worldbuilding - Generating Institute blueprints

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Primus2
Private E-1

Worldbuilding - Generating Institute blueprints

Postby Primus2 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:06 pm

I am working on my first REAL novel project and have made it to revised chapters Prologue and 1-3 with bits and pieces of chapters 4-6 with very long chapters. But the story is based in a created world of my own, so currently I am trying to go back and do a little more work with world building and outlining.

I am having a creative issue.

There's an Institute of sorts that Demonkin students attend and live on site to receive training. I originally mapped out a reverse pentagram and then connected the dots and that was to be my futile attempt at calligraphy in mapping and keying the Institute (Sepulcrum Instituti)... But as it turns out I just made an exact replica of the Pentagon... lol. So I'm considering revising that. But that's not even my struggle. I'm having an issue in keying in the types of buildings that such an Institute would have. Because I really have no idea on how I might go about finding ideas for what types of buildings I should have located at the Institute. I had the thought of exploring real life training facilities such as FBI HQ located on the Marine Corps, Quantico base but googling Quantico FBI HQ blueprints yielded no results (FBI probably will be at my house soon to ask me questions... :shock:).

So far I am working with-
-Student and teacher dorms
-Wall of Fallen (memorial)
-Battlegrounds
-Technology Center
-Gymnasium
-Administration
-Garrison
... Etc.

I have about 20 key buildings and locations. But overall these all seem incredibly trite to me and in need of a definite overhaul. Or am I just being crazy?

Any suggestions on how I could go about generating these ideas? Or even where or what I should focus my research on? Preferably ones that don't attract some sort of automatic terror alert system.

pls
Site Admin

Re: Worldbuilding - Generating Institute blueprints

Postby pls » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:23 pm

Don't overemphasize your world-building: minimize the setting and maximize the story.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Primus2
Private E-1

Postby Primus2 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:20 pm

Thank you. The issue that I'm having currently is that the project has gotten so large that I'm concerned about information being inconsistent. Currently, my chapters are averaging 11-13,000 words per chapter with the assumption that after edits it will be cut 30%. I also have roughly outlined a 60 chapter plan. Another issue that I seem to be having is an inconsistent timeline. While editing I have a tendency to also miss these inconsistencies no matter how many times I reread over them. A problem I think that comes from over editing when I should simply be coming back to rough drafts much later. Perhaps I should simply continue as you've advised and address the majority of these issues in beginning stages of an edit after the manuscript has been completed.

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby cynicalwanderer » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:41 am

I've heard an old analogy a few times - that world-building should be a bit like an iceberg; the amount of detail that gets into the final story will be only the top part and all the rest that the writer has come up with will be more "felt" than seen, as the larger base below the surface. I'm not sure if I agree with this entirely, but I do like the analogy.
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Thu Jan 12, 2017 9:46 am

Primus2
Private E-1

Postby Primus2 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 2:52 pm

@Cynicalwanderer Thank you. That is excellent advice :) I will keep it in mind.

@pls Where is the story posted? Or where does it take place?

Sorry, I hope this is what you were asking for...

I went ahead and uploaded older, more grammatically edited versions of my current work to a blogsite that I never got around to working on. You could catch the premise of the story there if you REALLY wanted to read it, but I wouldn't ask for your time like that. What I've changed and am currently working on NOW for those drafts (not provided) is changing and limiting the use of passive narration in the action scenes as well as improving dialogue (probably my weakest point) and applying MRU's to prose. As you can imagine, that's a lot of work to go in and make those edits, especially the MRU's since I am literally dissecting the entire foundation of my narration. So these are the cleanest uploads I can provide at this time.

Professional cover and description (old)-
Note: Plot not included, I haven't even written a current description yet. But the cover design is from a hired professional artist can be found here (it's pretty cool).
https://writerultimate.com/description/

Prologue- (I know... a prologue. But there was literally no way to avoid this as everything in the Prologue IS part of the story, but the story (chapter one) starts five years after this event (and prologue is only one long scene).
Note: Demonic summoning ritual found in the text here and can be offensive to some readers. Weakest points in Prologue I found to be too many characters and overuse of passive voice.
<Same domain name as before, simply change the word 'description' from the previous URL to>/prologue

Chapter One-
Note: Weakest point here I would have to say would be dialogue (not engaging).
<Same domain name as before, simply change the word 'prologue' from the previous URL to>/chapterone/

I've opted to not include Chapter Two because it needs an overhaul. The PoV character switches to another character and I had a hard time writing this.

And because of this I've not posted Chapter Three. Which is unfortunate because it is by far my strongest Chapter. I've found that after I became a little more comfortable with cause and effect style writing and including tension in the dialogue, it's easier to write with these methods in mind rather than editing previous work and applying these methods.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Fri Jan 13, 2017 10:11 am

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:01 pm

@Primus2:
You're writing a story, not running a tabletop RPG. I think it's fine that you're wanting to flesh out the scene, but what are you really accomplishing here?

What does THE STORY demand?

Don't let worldbuilding interfere with telling the story.

Story comes first (in priorities).
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

Brien Sz
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Brien Sz » Sat Jan 14, 2017 1:15 pm

I'm on board with Rob - the story is what matters the most. The world you build supports it. You can have the greatest world - wait for it..... in the world, but it won't mean a thing if it doesn't have a great story.

As an example - look at Star Wars I, II, III - these were terrible movies because they were terrible stories. Lucas spent so much time world building he neglected the story. People get sucked in by the story, the visuals just frame things.

Return to Writers' Block Party