[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
How do you do it? : Writers' Block Party • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

How do you do it?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
robjvargas
Captain

Re: How do you do it?

Postby robjvargas » Sun Jan 01, 2017 12:06 pm

@ben_heath_:
Every idea is bad. Every system sucks. Every plot contrived.

Until someone comes along and does it in a way that people buy.

I'm not going to tell you that this is good OR bad. I will say that it won't work for me. I don't write according to a mathematical formula. I write what the characters tell me is their story. And yes, I fully realize how schizophrenic that sounds. :lol:

You need to find what it is that brings out that story/tale you're trying to get out. And use that. And don't use something, not headings/subheadings, not monomyths or mirror headings, simply because someone said that's a thing that you need.

Try the system, if you feel it's going to help you. Abandon it otherwise.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

ben_heath_
Private E-1

Postby ben_heath_ » Sun Jan 01, 2017 3:09 pm

@robjvargas, yeah, it's a matter of mindset rather than dogma. I know for certain that I'm a total pattern seeker, and I write what is on my mind. I can't possibly try everything that someone else does or recommends, because I can't get into that mindset at all. For instance, I don't understand how someone goes on a hike with a voice recorder and speaks in prose to be transcribed and edited later, but people do. So yeah, I'll just experiment and see what works.

Frank321
Private E-1

Postby Frank321 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:43 pm

I have finished nothing, so this is truly an unknowing reply. Go to a library, look at writing books that are about organizing the type of writing you intend to do. Like writing a Novel, a book that breaks writing a novel down into pieces. When you find the book that seems right for you, buy it. And deviate from it when you feel necessary.

You could also look at Novel Organizing books online. As Amazon often lists books according to how well they sell, it seems another good place to look.

I have books with titles like; "The Weekend Novelist." A book which suggests that since some new novel writers will write only on the weekend, It divides the tasks into 52 Weekends. Just saying, it is an overview of the organization of tasks a Novelist can use. You gotta satisfy yourself that the book is the one you feel is what you will do.

You can also listen to the interviews of well known authors on youtube.

ARLEN
Private E-1

Postby ARLEN » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:55 am

Hi JLC,
Like you, I am a new writer. I just finished my first novel and self-published it on Amazon and iBooks this month. I think the best way to write is to just start doing it Even if seems like crap, write it down - you can always edit it later. I have found, after having started some projects and putting them aside, when I went back to re-read them months or years later, they were actually pretty good.

Every writer is different but what worked for me was coming up with a few compelling, provocative scenes and then piecing the storyline together. That's what I did with my novel and although at times it was rocky, it came together beautifully in the end. Anyway, that's just my advice - you have to find out what works for you. Good luck!

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:11 pm

Primus2
Private E-1

Postby Primus2 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:46 pm

Commit. I've found that writing is literally the single greatest challenge I've ever faced in life. But as you progress it snowballs into a huge sense of award. I've found that I have this need to wake an hour or two before work to write... And at least another hour or two after work as well. At first, it's easy to find reasons to not write, but you have to self motivate yourself and keep with a steady discipline. As I stated to another member, Writer's Digest is an amazing hub for you to begin. Some great writing articles can be found here. But I would try to spend the majority of your time simply writing at first. Then move on to outlining and preparing. You need to master the art of storytelling before you can plan a huge project. Also, be wary of over reading articles, the best you can do is just write, for now.

Again, another thing I recently mentioned to another reader is the first thing you should learn is narration technique for your prose. Cause and effect writing. A great article can be found here: http://www.writersdigest.com/writing-ar ... orytelling .

Good luck!
Last edited by Primus2 on Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Primus2
Private E-1

Postby Primus2 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:53 pm

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:03 pm

Experimenting and growth in craft don't exclude setting good work habits early in the process. I tend to write by the seat of my pants, but that doesn't mean that there isn't some organization and planning.

If you don't have at least SOME idea of where your story is going, and how you're going to get there, it'll show in the writing, no matter how many words you type out.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

Crono91
Lieutenant

Postby Crono91 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:03 pm

Getting started isn't the hard part. It's keeping up with it.

The best way to do it is to convince yourself that it will get published. Be excited over the work. At night time, imagine all the interviews you'll have, and being able to share your insight of the characters with fans. Keep that fire going. Don't go into it knowing that it won't get published, because then it becomes harder to see the better fruit at the end of the process.

Believe in the excitement you have for your story. Convince yourself.

Yet, also be aware that you are a writer, and all writers need to keep learning and humble themselves to know that there's more than what is currently in your head.

It's a troubling mixture of opposing feelings. Master it. That's how they do it.
Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

Mina21
Private E-1

Postby Mina21 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:42 am

I usually just start writing and see where the story takes me. If I finish it, I revise it, cut out what's unnecessary and start again. If I don't, it's on to the next piece.

PreviousNext

Return to Writers' Block Party