[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
What guidelines do you suggest for editing services? : Tips and Advice • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

What guidelines do you suggest for editing services?

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
ChuckstersGirl
Private E-1

What guidelines do you suggest for editing services?

Postby ChuckstersGirl » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:15 pm

Hello! I'm polishing an upper-middle-grade realistic fantasy novel that is at ~52,000 words. I completed the first draft 6 months ago, and have been editing and revising ever since. I started a critique group for middle-grade books, in order to get some feedback, but it hasn't been as productive as I had hoped - yet. I have a 2-3 month window of time to submit directly to an agent and an editor (a perk of attending a conference with them) and I want my ms to be as ready as possible.
My question would be: what type of editing service would be of the most benefit to me? What I really want to know is - is the story marketable? What could I do to improve not only the storyline, but the writing?
I've read so many articles, I'm starting to mistrust my own judgement on just about every aspect. I need a new set of eyes, but what do I want them to do?
Thanks in advance-

pls
Site Admin

Re: What guidelines do you suggest for editing services?

Postby pls » Thu Jan 05, 2017 1:03 pm

It sounds as if your group members aren't very useful in critiquing your work - if all they do is nod and tell you how good it its, you're not getting your "money's worth".

Why not post a chapter (2,500 words or less, please) in the appropriate forum here for feedback?
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:59 pm

It's impossible to intelligently state what kind of edit you need, if any, without reading your writing. But if you want to know if it's "marketable" that suggests a relatively high level (expensive) kind of edit. But you can get free advice if you're willing to post part of it here.

katherinepiercebv@gmail.com
Private E-1

Postby katherinepiercebv@gmail.com » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:39 pm

I believe you just have to choose a publisher that gives what you want with their editing service.

ChuckstersGirl
Private E-1

Postby ChuckstersGirl » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:20 am

I posted the first chapter - about 2200 words - for critique in "Children's", as my MC is too young for it to be YA. I would appreciate any advice you care to offer about it.
I really want to know if it's worth $500 for editing services, before I send it off to the agent and editor. At this point, I just need some perspective! My "beta" readers are friends and don't offer any constructive criticism (because they are readers, not writers, I guess) and my critique group is as inexperienced as I am and while we cheer each other on, I don't need a cheerleader, I need a ..... something else.
The rest of the novel is at the same level as this introductory chapter - if I polish it any more (without knowing what needs to be polished) I'm going to start sucking the life out of it, I think.
Thanks for letting me whine. And thanks for taking a look at my sample chapter.

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:45 am

My opinion is that you don't pay for editing if you're going for trade publishing. What's the point? You should be able to do this yourself and/or with some critique on forums such as this. Particularly in your case, where you already have the interest of an agent.

If you've been editing and revising for six months, set the thing aside for a month and then come back to it. Do some polishing and let it go. I have a suspicion what you're actually doing is changing, not necessarily improving.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

paula-hicks
Private E-1

Postby paula-hicks » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:40 am

It depends on a paper you need to edit. For example, I prefer using some companies instead of independent editors. Each of them has own guidelines.

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:04 pm

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:06 pm

JohnatWrM
Private E-1

Postby JohnatWrM » Fri Jan 13, 2017 9:04 am

Many may disregard profesional script consultancies for a variety of (fair) reasons, but they do really help improve the quality of the script in all aspects and will even pick up on things you wouldn't have even thought of.

Take WriteMovies Judging Feedback, for example. It's a good indication of where your script is at, it tells you what's working, what isn't and what needs to be fixed. This feedback goes into character, plot, narrative, writing technique, marketability, commerciality, casting suggestions and more, in just a few pages. We've had some great feedback from writers about it and it's worth at least checking out.

http://writemovies.com/judging-feedback/

Next

Return to Tips and Advice