2017 Reading Challenge

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
pls
Site Admin

2017 Reading Challenge

Postby pls » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:09 am

Welcome, all. Please post your reading goals in this topic (books only, please), and then read and post. Good luck!
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

cjr1977
Private E-1

Re: 2017 Reading Challenge

Postby cjr1977 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:53 pm

I got four physical books for Christmas (two of them are part of a three book series so I will add the third book of the series also) plus ten ebooks. I think it should be easy work to get through all fifteen of those plus some so my reading goal will be twenty. I've never made a reading goal before though so that may be too small of a number especially considering some of them are young adult books and I fly through those but you have to start somewhere.

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby cynicalwanderer » Mon Jan 02, 2017 4:38 am

After achieving my previous half-year goal of re-reading all of the Rex Stout and Richard Stark novels with a few weeks to spare, I've just made a start (on my new Kindle Oasis Christmas gift) on working my way through the Discworld series before the first half of 2017 ends. I'll probably alternate each book with other books as I usually do, so that I don't get burned out on repetition.
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:08 am

I think I'll set my goal this year at 10 books. This is only because am not sure if I can find more than ten this year to read. :)
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

hammer

Postby hammer » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:06 am

I completed my goal of 25 books last year, so I'm going to try it again. I've already started my first book for the year!

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:48 am

I will keep my goal at 35. Over the Christmas period I ordered several freebies and special offers from Amazon and Bookbub so I have plenty to be getting on with.
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

max2011
Captain

Postby max2011 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:10 pm

I think I'll go for a goal of 25 books this year... I've got two I'm reading for this month I alternate with- a nonfiction and fiction

Rosedarling
Sergeant First Class

Postby Rosedarling » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:24 pm

I'm going for 25 this year as I have more time to read. I've already begun my first book.
Formerly known as rosebud
https://rosaliehovis.wordpress.com

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 10:54 pm

2016: 104
2017: 52
1. The Divide. A novel I beta read for another author.
2. The Writer's Journey, 2nd ed., by Christopher Vogler. A more digestible description of the hero's journey.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:17 am

Here is my first review for 2017.

Storm and Silence, by Robert Thier. (Two stars)
I wish I could say that I liked this book, but I honestly can't.
For one thing, it was way too long. For another, I failed to appreciate Mr. Thier's sense of humor. What probably sent others off into giggling fits irritated me to the point that I almost gave up reading, several times.
I wanted to slap Lilly for her persistent refusal to be sensible and her many, many, many questions. Also, Mr. Ambrose came over more like cardboard to me. Nothing like the hard stone that he was supposed to portray. Incidentally, it wasn't until I finished reading that I realized the book's title referred to characteristics ... Lilly, stormy; Rikkard, silent. I would have named it Pest and Pomposity.
There was plenty of action, but most of it was unbelievable. Also, the language used by both Lilly and Rikkard bothered me. We were supposed to be in 1837, so the 20th century expressions jolted me out of the story.
I must give Mr. Thier credit for doing his homework and providing a glossary at the end of the book. I found that more interesting than the story. I had to look up 'adam's apple', which I thought was a purely masculine anatomical feature, and I am happy to be proved wrong. Perhaps I am wrong about the quality of Mr. Thier's book, too. If I can bring myself to read it again, at not such a stressful time, perhaps I will change my mind.
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

Next

Return to Writers' Block Party