[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
How to move the story quickly without being boring?? : Tips and Advice • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

How to move the story quickly without being boring??

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
MissTaylor1984
Private E-1

How to move the story quickly without being boring??

Postby MissTaylor1984 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:13 pm

My novel starts with a prologue where the two main characters are kids; 8 and 9.
Chapter 1 starts out 8 years later and the rest of the story is about their last 2 years in high school leading up to graduation and eventually moving. I don't want to write about their day-to-day activities so I will write something like, "The weeks flew by and before they knew it, Christmas was just a couple days away." and then fill in the reader on a general account of their lives leading up to this point.

I don't want it to be boring so I wanted to keep the descriptions about what they did every day to a minimum. They are just high school students and the focus is on their relationship, not so much what happens at school or their jobs. Is describing it how I am doing it now ok or should I slow it down more?

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Re: How to move the story quickly without being boring??

Postby cynicalwanderer » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:55 pm

I'd suggest pruning it back even further and just skip the non-plot activity descriptions entirely. What you seem to be looking for here is a way to make your time transitions work, so you can fast forward to the next time period relevant to the plot. If that's the case, perhaps think about what techniques might work for your book's structure to help with smooth transitions. One commonly used method, for example, is having date stamp subheadings whenever you have a chapter break. So if chapter one is subheaded 1992 and then chapter two bumps to 2000, the reader can see at a glance that time has passed, without any need for day by day waffle to progress the moment from then to now. If something important to the plot or characters did happen during that skipped period of time, but wasn't quite important enough to justify its own scene or chapter, then you can of course fill it in as you go as backstory.
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

williamadams

Re: How to move the story quickly without being boring??

Postby williamadams » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:00 pm

Return to Tips and Advice