[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Need rising action and climax. : Tips and Advice • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Need rising action and climax.

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
sjones009
Private E-1

Need rising action and climax.

Postby sjones009 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:59 pm

I have an idea for a story about Marz, a bastard son born into a royal family. His existence is kept secret and he is locked away because Marz has a psychic mental illness that causes him to manifest objects with his mind. The busy world outside the castle brings Marz to a crippling halt. He must stay within confines of limited space or his powers will overwhelm him. When medicated he can control his power but he loses his vigor and becomes depressed. Marz longs for independence outside of the kingdom. Though his royal family never includes him, his only friend is a doctor and butler named Bryce. Everyday he administers medication for Marz until one day, Marz overhears the king discussing plans to evacuate the roayal family because of an inevitable coup d'etat from their enemy. They would bring all their treasures and abandon ship but leave Marz to the new regime. Marz begs Bryce to prescribe a new, untested drug that allows Marz to sustain himself outside. Bryce gives Marz the drug Marz escapes into the city. Because of this, Marz has 2 days to leave the city before the enemy state invades. With time running out and news spreading fast, before he leaves, he searches for his dog, Demo who accompanied him during his childhood. Marz finds the Demo's new owner and warns her and her family about the invasion. Afraid, she forfeits the dog and calls the authorities. Demo and Marz escape the police on a train heading to a place Marz knows nothing of.

This is where i usually get stuck in writing. I want the story to be about finding independence. In the end I want Marz to find a life of his own but i have no idea for conflict or any central plot to get to that part. the problem might stem from the fact that im writign form the perspective of a college student who still lives with his mom. While the story is about autonomy. Can you instruct me how i could possibly start develop rising action conflict and falling action in this story? That was always the hardest for me. Thanks writers digest!

Oldtimer
Colonel

Re: Need rising action and climax.

Postby Oldtimer » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:02 am

You have an interesting idea, but nobody can tell you how to develop it. If I were you, I'd try a few possible alternatives for Marx, then pick whichever gives the most conflict but is also the most believable. You are facing a hard choice, seeing that you have already encumbered Marx with so many difficulties. Good luck!
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Sat Dec 24, 2016 3:16 pm

The build has to be your own. If I write the story, even by creating a plot, it's no longer yours. And that usually shows up in a different style.

I'm not really sure what Marz's precise power/handicap really is. So think about it from that angle. Do you remember Oedipus? While trying to run from his destiny, he ran smack-dab into it. So... what if his destiny is to regain the throne for his family? What if in the course of being captured, he finds the key to controlling himself and his abilities? Or, more tragically, what if he doesn't?

An ability like that, out of the blue, might suggest... let's call it "supernatural parentage." How would that figure into his adventure and story?

What if that "medicine" was never medicine at all, and Marx's true heritage is as a royal heir for the "invaders"? They weren't overthrowing the legitimate rules, they are/are rescuing their own legitimate ruler? The potions the doctor had been feeding weren't treatments, just suppressants, or even DEpressants? Designed to keep him from seeing his true potential?

There are lots of ways this could go. Try to find "angles" for your story. Flip the truth compared to perception. Or solidify perception as truth.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

sjones009
Private E-1

Postby sjones009 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:19 pm

sjones009
Private E-1

Postby sjones009 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:32 pm

sjones009
Private E-1

Postby sjones009 » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:38 pm

The best bet is to link the begunning of the story and Marz to whatever story I invent for the invaders. And perhaps give Marz a special part of the invading kingdom that he knew nothing of. Kind of like harry Potter or star wars. That's what I got from this forum.

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:42 pm

"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

Return to Tips and Advice