[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The writers purpose for the sentence? : Tips and Advice • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

The writers purpose for the sentence?

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
Steve4848
Private E-2

The writers purpose for the sentence?

Postby Steve4848 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:04 am

Last edited by Steve4848 on Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:04 am, edited 5 times in total.

shadowwalker
Captain

Re: Sentence purposes?

Postby shadowwalker » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:48 am

I suppose one would put descriptive sentences under declarative, but it's not something I'd lose sleep over.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

Steve4848
Private E-2

Postby Steve4848 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:28 am

I changed the subject on Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:56 am because it was a poorly worded subject and didn't express what I wanted. This first post was also not well written. I was looking to see if my off the beaten path purposes had already been classified. I should have added more clarification. I'm only taking the time to clarify this now so that others that run across this thread and want to add their insight might continue on the correct new path of the conversation.

Weird even though I changed it on the first post the forum deleted the first post and put it on the second page, so now its even more convoluted.

Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to classify sentences in a story, as in what was the purpose of the writer to write that sentence.
So I'm trying to create categories, but I don't know where to start.

Character action,
supporting description (character action}

Character location
supporting description (character location)
second supporting description

.... Not sure..... Just brainstorming....
Would you care to input an idea?
Last edited by Steve4848 on Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:09 pm

These are sentence classifications, not purposes.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Steve4848
Private E-2

Postby Steve4848 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:28 am

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:21 am

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Steve4848
Private E-2

Postby Steve4848 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:08 am

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Sat Dec 17, 2016 2:14 pm

I think much of the problem is that you're here talking to writers, and most writers do just that - write. The ones who get overly involved in dissecting sentences and stories generally end up not writing them.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

Steve4848
Private E-2

Postby Steve4848 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:43 pm

True but if I prick a writer, do you not bleed? You are the living breathing part of the idea that I'm researching so I was hoping you might have some insight

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:15 pm

Well, that was kinda my insight. I stopped worrying about sentence structure and terms etc back in junior high. I didn't have to know that stuff to know how to use it effectively. And I have found that people who still worry about it don't get a lot of writing done - they're too busy analyzing everything.

Want to know the purpose of a sentence? Very simple - to group together with other sentences to form an interesting story.

Next

Return to Tips and Advice