[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Promoting Under Tight Budget : Promotional Tips • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Promoting Under Tight Budget

Luna-Bell07
Private E-1

Promoting Under Tight Budget

Postby Luna-Bell07 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:49 pm

Hello. I'm a first time writer that just self-published a novel. But as much as I'd like to promote it, I don't have hundreds of dollars I can spend on expensive promotional materials, let alone hundreds for a professional cover. How can a first time writer with very little funds promote their work? Thank you!

pls
Site Admin

Re: Promoting Under Tight Budget

Postby pls » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:50 pm

Less is more when it comes to promotion, IMHO.

A well-written novel will be its own promotion. Over-promoting a poorly written one is like putting mascara on a pig.

One of the worst practices I've observed is over-promoting your work on Facebook in various writing groups, and I've silently black-listed those who do so.

However, blogging, securing book signings at bookstores, libraries, in Walmart parking lots and out of the trunk of your car, and giving away the first book in a series cost you little or nothing (you ARE working on that second book already, right?). And Goodreads and Shelfari are free, as are author pages on Facebook. Good luck!
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Luna-Bell07
Private E-1

Postby Luna-Bell07 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:06 am

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:07 am

Well, thanks for the kind words. And you, too, will be able to provide advice as you gain experience.

basketcse
Private E-1

Postby basketcse » Sat Mar 14, 2015 5:00 pm

Interesting. I'm a new author too and I'm not a very social person and I don't care for social media much. That's what the publicist with my first publisher (small publisher and long story) wanted to push on me. I've opted to go with a book reveal and blog tour instead with some nice ladies with a good reputation and very reasonable prices. Going to have some book marks printed and promote on my own website. I signed up for Tweeter and facebook and I'll put a book banner on it, but I'll let my friends do the chattering. Which, btw, is probably your best advertising. Then ask for reviews (in a nice way).

denmark423
Private E-1

Postby denmark423 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 1:52 am

If you really don't have any enough budget to publish your book, you can just use the internet on selling a copy of your book whether you would have a paid blog or a free blog. Or, you can just use social media.

katherinepiercebv@gmail.com
Private E-1

Postby katherinepiercebv@gmail.com » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:58 pm

Maybe you can try Crowd Funding for your book. That will surely help!

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:48 am

Never pay for publishing a book when free sources like Smashwords and Amazon exist!

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:37 pm

Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

Return to Promotional Tips