[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Is it a bad idea to share my novel's premise? : Tips and Advice • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Is it a bad idea to share my novel's premise?

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
Solemn
Private E-1

Is it a bad idea to share my novel's premise?

Postby Solemn » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:19 pm

I'm working on a novel and it is very, very unique. I am not completely sure of it though; and I wanted to ask how many people would read it, how many people hate its genre, and whether or not adults would find it... not adult enough for its themes. But I can't ask anyone any of those questions without sharing my premise. I'm not really paranoid of people "stealing" my work-- I highly doubt anyone would or could. But maybe there's something I should know before attempting to ask questions about my novel's premise and potential audience. Is there?

shadowwalker
Captain

Re: Is it a bad idea to share my novel's premise?

Postby shadowwalker » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:34 pm

Writers have more ideas than they know what to do with, let alone stealing someone else's. Put any idea out there, no matter how "unique", and you'd get a different book for every author that might use it. The ideas aren't what sell the book - it's how that book is written.

As to whether or not people would read it, like the premise, the genre, etc - who knows? You write the book the best you can, get it published, and see what happens. That's all any of us can do.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

Solemn
Private E-1

Postby Solemn » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:48 pm

Is there a place I can (if I should) request feedback of my blurb to ask about reader interest?

paula-hicks
Private E-1

Postby paula-hicks » Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:16 am

Don't be paranoid. People read what they want, I mean when it's your reader, he will love your novel.

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:38 pm

What does someone have to gain by "stealing" an idea? It still needs to be turned into something that can be sold.

No one owns ideas. So they cannot be stolen. At least not as a legal concept in the USA.

I understand your concern. I'm paranoid enough to have thought of that concern myself. But it all came down to, "OK, they stole it. Now what?"

It really isn't worth the thief's time.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:59 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:00 pm

I mean, sometimes you can be screwed. If there is a story with a specific twist (say, "Gift of the Magi,") and someone else beats you to submission, it could be bad for you.

But generally, I wouldn't worry about it.

Return to Tips and Advice