[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
I need book recommendations to read while I write. : Tips and Advice • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

I need book recommendations to read while I write.

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
Solemn
Private E-1

I need book recommendations to read while I write.

Postby Solemn » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:44 pm

I haven't read fiction in over a decade, but I know I should be reading while I write! Now, I'm writing a largely introspective work about child abandonment, abuse, and neglect from the point of an adult victim. I need a few books that might have a similar tone and point of view to help me. I don't necessarily need a book about abuse-- just something at least a little introspective and serious. I do have a few free books on my Google Play, but Oliver Twist won't help me because it's too stilted and awkward and The Adventures of Tom Sawyer and Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH aren't nearly introspective enough. Dave Pelzer books might give me information about abusive events, but I've read a little of them and they won't help me with voice. Anybody have any recommendations?

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Re: I need book recommendations to read while I write.

Postby cynicalwanderer » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:08 pm

There's a hefty genre often referred to as "misery lit" that you might want to research, which deals primarily with such themes. If you type that phrase into Wikipedia, there's a whole page on the subject. The books of Jodi Picoult spring to mind as examples of the genre, but there are plenty more.
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

Solemn
Private E-1

Postby Solemn » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:15 pm

Dude, that information is super-helpful. Thanks a ton!

Dreaming Imrryr
Sergeant First Class

Postby Dreaming Imrryr » Fri Mar 17, 2017 1:53 pm

g-girl3
Private E-1

Postby g-girl3 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 3:16 pm

The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls—it's nonfiction but reads like a novel, and I think it's just the tone you're looking for.

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:39 pm

Return to Tips and Advice