[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Must I truly need beta readers? : Tips and Advice • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Must I truly need beta readers?

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
shadowwalker
Captain

Re: Must I truly need beta readers?

Postby shadowwalker » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:49 am

The trick with betas, as with editors, is to know your story well enough that you understand what advice to take and what advice to politely decline.

Note to williamsadams: again remember - just because one doesn't plan does not mean going off track, nor does planning mean you can't benefit from a second set of eyes. Writers must do what works for them, regardless of other people's misconceptions.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby cynicalwanderer » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:46 pm

"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

writerlincoln
Private E-1

Postby writerlincoln » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:50 pm

I think if you go the beta route, you need a good amount. At least ten. That way if you have multiple betas saying the same thing, you know you have a problem. Just one person saying something needs to be changed doesn't necessarily mean it needs to be changed. Some betas are awful or are just not right for your book/genre.
My site:

Previous

Return to Tips and Advice