[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Dialogue query for TV/ Radio dialogue within story. : Tips and Advice • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Dialogue query for TV/ Radio dialogue within story.

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
Dani-H
Private E-1

Dialogue query for TV/ Radio dialogue within story.

Postby Dani-H » Tue Dec 06, 2016 2:32 pm

I'm writing a short story in which the main character interacts with what he hears on a TV show.
What is the correct format for writing direct dialogue from a TV or radio within a story?
I also do not want to add a tagline for the TV dialogue, but the dialogue itself should inform the readers that it is so.
Would I just use standard quotation marks in the same way a I would for character dialogue.

For Example:
-
" Welcome to news hour ! "

John laughed out loud, " You mean welcome to fiction hour."

-
Also, how would you format a railway station tannoy announcement?

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Re: Dialogue query for TV/ Radio dialogue within story.

Postby cynicalwanderer » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:16 pm

Italics, either with or without quotation marks as you prefer, are sometimes used in these situations where a non-human character is "talking" - be that the TV, radio, or HAL 9000. The font change itself is what serves as a sort of visual attribution technique that sets it off as different from the human speech of the other characters.

That said, italics in writing can spark a thorny debate - some writers/readers/critics love them, some hate them, and many of them will have an opinion about it.
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:55 am

Italics are generally used only for foreign words and phrases and emphasis. Using them for other purposes confuses the reader.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:58 pm

Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:39 am

Dani-H
Private E-1

Postby Dani-H » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:51 pm

Many thanks for the replies. Very helpful.

I have also read that dots can be used. For example, "...Welcome to news hour!..."

I like the idea of columns, but would it not be the other way around? TV on the right and person on the left.

For example:

"...Welcome to news hour!..."

John laughed out loud, " You mean welcome to fiction hour."

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby cynicalwanderer » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:01 pm

I'm reading a thriller by a well-known author at the moment in which, for dialogue by a sign-language-using monkey, square brackets are used to indicate the sign language:

[Don't like bananas]

I guess it would be transferable for your TV/radio scenario as well.
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:15 pm

Return to Tips and Advice