[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
At what point should I look for a literary agent : Tips and Advice • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

At what point should I look for a literary agent

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
nonfictionwriter
Private E-1

At what point should I look for a literary agent

Postby nonfictionwriter » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:18 pm

I'm a physician, and I'm writing a non-fiction book about resilience in the face of medical illness. I am interviewing patients, writing about their stories, and incorporating the science of resilience and my own theoretical framework. I've written >30,000 words, but I'm probably at least 14 months away from having a completed manuscript. My ultimate goal would be to get this commercially published (I'm not sure how feasible this is), and I want to know at what point I should contact a literary agent. I have heard that it may be wise to contact an agent earlier because they may give feedback about how to complete and market the book. Alternatively, I heard that they will not take you seriously if you don't have a completed manuscript. I would not be able to rush the completion of the manuscript given my work/family obligations. Any thoughts.

-nonfiction writer

shadowwalker
Captain

Re: At what point should I look for a literary agent

Postby shadowwalker » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:58 pm

My understanding is that for nonfiction, you write the proposal and submit that before actually writing the book. This might be helpful: .
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

nonfictionwriter
Private E-1

Postby nonfictionwriter » Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:18 am

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:48 am

"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

nonfictionwriter
Private E-1

Postby nonfictionwriter » Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:51 am

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:05 am

nonfictionwriter
Private E-1

Postby nonfictionwriter » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:23 pm

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:25 am

That's out of my area - I'm strictly fiction. This article from WD might get you started:

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:47 pm

The best thing you can do is to build up your platform (research this, if you don't know what it means). Perhaps start a blog or webpage associated with the topic of the book.

I've spoken to agents who represent nonfiction, and some want a completed manuscript and some don't.

nonfictionwriter
Private E-1

Postby nonfictionwriter » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:18 pm

Next

Return to Tips and Advice