[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Sociopaths: What really makes people (& characters) ‘bad’ P1 : Tips and Advice • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Sociopaths: What really makes people (& characters) ‘bad’ P1

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
JohnatWrM
Private E-1

Sociopaths: What really makes people (& characters) ‘bad’ P1

Postby JohnatWrM » Wed Nov 09, 2016 9:26 am

Ji everyone, just wanted to share a new article from WriteMovies Director of World Wide Development, Ian Kennedy - WHAT REALLY MAKES PEOPLE (AND CHARACTERS) ‘BAD’ OR ‘EVIL’ (OR SOMETIMES JUST BRILLIANT) AND WHAT’S IT GOT TO DO WITH WRITING?.

Really interesting article on what does and doesn't make a sociopath and some examples from reality and fiction (specifically, well-known television characters). There's a little snippet below...

"I was lent a fascinating pop-psychology book last year which really opened my eyes. Now the bad things that people do in the world all make good sense to me, and the things that other people agonize about in ‘public morality’ don’t trouble me. But what’s most useful about this book and this approach – which we should all handle with caution anyway – is what it can teach writers about how to understand and explain ‘bad’ people in their stories. Really, it’s an interesting account of a vital aspect of life, that we should all be aware of, especially writers, and which gives us a great view into it."

Thoughts guys?

writemovies.com/insights-sociopaths-what-really-makes-people-and-characters-bad-or-evil-or-sometimes-just-brilliant-part-one/

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Re: Sociopaths: What really makes people (& characters) ‘bad

Postby James A. Ritchie » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:52 am

Good is good, bad is bad, and pop psychology, or any other psychology doesn't change what is and isn't moral.

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Wed Nov 09, 2016 1:21 pm

"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:18 am

The bad guy is the hero of his story.

I think it's often unproductive to have the antagonist be a sociopath. It's low-hanging and very stale fruit.

JohnatWrM
Private E-1

Postby JohnatWrM » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:23 am

Hey guys, I'm just about to post the second part of the article - thanks for the discussion so far!

Carly Berg
Corporal

Postby Carly Berg » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:46 am

Unfortunately, I lurve pop psychology. Figure out the big questions in thirty minutes or less? Oh yeah, I'm in! Now I'm thinking I really need to read The Sociopath Next Door. (I never got around to it).

I think sociopaths should be easy to understand but kinda aren't because we (most of us anyway, I think) have very built-in empathy and morals and such, so built-in that we might have a hard time picking up on signs that someone else is a completely different animal to the core.

I think the article said 4% of the population are sociopaths but I don't know if I know any. I've known some people who have done awful things and some who I wouldn't trust under any circumstances, but their misdeeds could as easily have other root causes like addiction or mental illness. And of course they'd have learned how to fake the expected feelings.

Maybe only a psychiatrist or another sociopath would be really good at spotting them.

Yeah, I know, must not type before coffee...

Also, glad to see you around, Mr. Ritchie. (I knew you had been seriously ill awhile back and then you seemed gone for another spell recently).
My books (available at Amazon):
Story Prompts That Work
Writing Flash Fiction: How to Write Very Short Stories and Get Them Published
Coffee House Lies: 100 Cups of Flash Fiction

JohnatWrM
Private E-1

Postby JohnatWrM » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:38 am

JohnatWrM
Private E-1

Postby JohnatWrM » Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:56 am

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:13 am

I saw a completely different movie than you appear to have seen, GrinningBear.

What's the difference between requiring super-powered people to register, and muslims being required to register? Captain America's opposition wasn't based solely on Bucky's situation. That made it personal. Quite the opposite of sociopathy, Captain America stood on principles of individual liberty.

Which is not a complete out for Cap. Neither Cap nor Iron Man were entirely clean in the movie. To me, that's one of the better points about the movie. It wasn't good vs evil. Even the baddest bad guy in the movie thought he was doing good. And I think that's also relevant here.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

Grumpy Mike
Private E-1

Postby Grumpy Mike » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:33 pm

Sociopath: a person with a personality disorder manifesting itself in extreme antisocial attitudes and behavior and a lack of conscience.

Psychopath: a person suffering from chronic mental disorder with abnormal or violent social behavior.

Next

Return to Tips and Advice