Would it cause losing faith in characters if...

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
HawkEliz489
Private E-2

Would it cause losing faith in characters if...

Postby HawkEliz489 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:19 pm

Hey guys.
This is probably most dumbest question I'm being tormented with, but lately it got me thinking a lot and I need your opinions.

In my story, I have one particular scene in which my Main Character is forced to put her hand willingly on table, while the bad guy prepares to cut her fingers with an axe. She is threatened that if she doesn't do so, then her friend is going to die. So, my MC is not exactly a heroic type, but she does as she's told in order to save her friend's life. However, the bad guys actually play a prank and when they swing axe it hits the table between MC's fingers. And here is the part which makes me thinking: When axe hits the table, MC instinctively falls backward and pisses her pants.

Now I'm wondering, would a reader lose faith in such character about not being brave enough? I mean, MC actually 'passes the prank test', because she doesn't remove her hand until the axe hits its destination. But I'm talking about the fact how she responses after. Could such straightforward scenes cause the reader to somewhat lose faith in Protagonist? (Anyway, that is one particular scene, it doesn't talk much about the rest of the story or character itself). I just want to know if it'll cause negative reactions, and is it going to be a mistake to be so straightforward about such matters?

Thank you.
“Do I look like the leader of this merry band of misfits?”

shadowwalker
Captain

Re: Would it cause losing faith in characters if...

Postby shadowwalker » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:02 pm

I guess it wouldn't put me off the character, but I would be wondering about more practical matters - now that she's done that, how does she cope? I mean, she's going to be wet and smelly. How does that work with what happens next? From the sound of the bad guy, he's not going to offer her a change of clothes. Are you going to be just as "open" with it in following scenes, or just ignore it?

ie, what's the purpose here, and is this the best way to fulfil that?
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:09 pm

I don't think it would be a problem. However, pissing/pooping pants out of fear is a cliche, imo.

HawkEliz489
Private E-2

Postby HawkEliz489 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:30 am

Actually, I was not talking about 'details', but the fact that character shows somewhat a cowardice, or a great fear which causes huge embarrassment afterwards. I don't think it's necessary to write up those little details, or how a character took bath and all (unless someone wants to). I'm talking from the emotional aspect.
“Do I look like the leader of this merry band of misfits?”

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:33 am

Well, for me it's a variation of Chekhov's gun. Whatever method you use to show supposed cowardice and aftermath, you can't ignore the other obvious aspects of that method. If she simply broke down and cried, even having red rimmed eyes is not going to last long - but the smell of urine will.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby cynicalwanderer » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:26 am

Also depends on the genre. If it's horror or a slasher thriller, as implied somewhat by the scene you've described, then one of the functions of the hero/heroine character is to be a conduit for all of the emotions and reactions you want to wring out of the scene, written to feel true enough that the reader can empathise and identify with that character. If your hero is too tough, it'll lessen that sense of empathy, just as dangerously as if they're too weak, so try to find the balance between moving the character/plot forward and keeping the reactions feeling genuine to what the reader herself would feel in such a scenario.
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

Yportne

Postby Yportne » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:53 pm

Depends on whether her response is compatible with the kind of person you've created in the minds of your readers before this scene. Sometimes it's wise to be explicit about who a character is or is not. And sometimes it's best to only imply what a character is like, thereby giving your readers the freedom to make up their own minds. We can surprise our readers with a twist or two, of course, but it's probably best to foreshadow that change somewhere earlier in the story so your readers don't think the character's unexpected behavior isn't properly motivated, doesn't come out of the blue.

Return to Tips and Advice