[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Parser Puzzle : Take it Outside! • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Parser Puzzle

Take your food fights, word games and other creative diversions out here.
Steve4848
Private E-2

Parser Puzzle

Postby Steve4848 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:18 pm

TwoStepCharlie
Private First Class

Re: Parser Puzzle

Postby TwoStepCharlie » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:47 pm

Yes, it seems like the parser simply takes each component of the sentence, throws it on a new line, and tags it with a code that identifies what type of English grammar it is.

For example:
nsubj = noun subject
cc = conjunction
prep = preposition
advmod=adverb modifier

If you really want to identify the various parts of an English sentence, this is an awkward way to go about it. It's simply adding extra work. There are other, more effective resources by which you can learn English grammar.
Blow up the bridge?!

Steve4848
Private E-2

Postby Steve4848 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:03 pm

True to your name you have identified the first step. Take the second step.

Yes it identifies the grammatical label of the word,silly that's the obvious part. Even I can see that. What I don't know is why. Why are the lines connected to different words. Why is it linking them? How grammatically are they relating to each other. It's there right in front of us. You'll have to do more than just read Charly, you're going to have to perceive.

It's not for teaching me, it's for teaching a computer.

TwoStepCharlie
Private First Class

Postby TwoStepCharlie » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:44 am

Last edited by TwoStepCharlie on Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Blow up the bridge?!

TwoStepCharlie
Private First Class

Postby TwoStepCharlie » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:59 am

p.s. actually now that you mention computing, this parser (it seems to me) is maybe trying to turn the rhyme into a procedural language. 'Commands-to-do' (something), and the arguments tacked on afterwards.

Fetch
-->pail

But if you work with computers (as seems the case), then this is probably not news to you either. Again this throws your own question back on you: why would a computer programmer be looking for help with computer language on a writer's forum?
Blow up the bridge?!

Steve4848
Private E-2

Postby Steve4848 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:36 pm

sorry you are right. sometimes I don't even know what I mean
But I found a site that shows it better

I'm creating a program to help me dissect short stories. Analyze the linguistic structure of language, and explain the functional role of each word in a given sentence.

SyntaxNet is a program that given a sentence as input, it tags each word with a part-of-speech (POS) tag that describes the word's syntactic function, and it determines the syntactic relationships between words in the sentence, represented in the dependency parse tree. These syntactic relationships are directly related to the underlying meaning of the sentence in question.

I want to then break them down to basic terms categorically.

Identify the characters in the story.
Make profiles of the characters, physiology, faults, attitude.
Try to Identify the subtle nuances in the story.
Identify the narrative, catalysts, plots, time/date settings, branches in the story.
Identify the emotions in the story. This will cover a lot because every action or possibly all of the above will have an emotion/attitude identifier. Level of emotions 1-5 or whatever is standard in the psychology field. This is to help in reconstruction of different stories. A mad person acts differently than a happy person.
Make a chatbot and put all the conversations into it to help with the dialog

Organize them into groups and recreate new stories.

So I have a lot of work ahead of me. But first I'll have to learn sentence structure and how words relate to other words or phrases in different sentences.

Return to Take it Outside!