[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Is sured a word? : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Is sured a word?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
Steve4848
Private E-2

Is sured a word?

Postby Steve4848 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:25 pm

Obtaining pliers from the shed he latched them on the lid, sured his grip and applied pressure.

TwoStepCharlie
Private First Class

Re: Is sured a word?

Postby TwoStepCharlie » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:32 pm

Sounds like it might have been at one time, such as in the old West.
I wouldn't use it today, though.
Blow up the bridge?!

Steve4848
Private E-2

Postby Steve4848 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:42 pm

TwoStepCharlie
Private First Class

Postby TwoStepCharlie » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:01 pm

Blow up the bridge?!

u.v.ray
Private E-2

Postby u.v.ray » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:14 pm

Out from Murder Slim Press:
We Are Glass - Short Stories.
Spiral Out - novella
The Migrant - novella
Black Cradle - novel

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:04 am

Yeah, that's not a word. I agree with ray with using it anyway, with the caveat that it not be in the narrative (ie, if it were the character's speech or thought). In the narrative, it would confuse people and more than likely not leave a favorable impression of the author.

Note: when in doubt, look it up in a dictionary. ;)
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

TwoStepCharlie
Private First Class

Postby TwoStepCharlie » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:13 am

These also. Since you have 'applied pressure' later in the sentence...

he made sure of his grip
he re-adjusted his grip
Blow up the bridge?!

Carly Berg
Corporal

Postby Carly Berg » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:43 pm

"Obtaining pliers from the shed he latched them on the lid, sured his grip and applied pressure."

I don't know if it's "officially" a word or not but I understand it and I like it so I'd keep it.

What I don't like is the first part of the sentence. "Obtaining pliers from the shed[,] he latched them on the lid" doesn't make any sense.
My books (available at Amazon):
Story Prompts That Work
Writing Flash Fiction: How to Write Very Short Stories and Get Them Published
Coffee House Lies: 100 Cups of Flash Fiction

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:11 pm

"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:43 am

Never coin a new word when an old one does the job as well or better. In this case, I wouldn't object to "sured", and can see a use for it, though I don't think it's necessary.

Next

Return to Writers' Block Party