[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Going against "conventional wisdom" : Conversation question • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Going against "conventional wisdom"

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
TwoStepCharlie
Private First Class

Re: Going against "conventional wisdom"

Postby TwoStepCharlie » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:23 pm

Blow up the bridge?!

HawkEliz489
Private E-2

Postby HawkEliz489 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:42 am

As a reader I would like to know how the main character looks like beside knowing their personality. I'm not talking about unnecessary long descriptions just for sake of it. As a reader I have a curiosity of the character I'm following. I'm curious what they look like, not on the portrait level, but on the level of human nature. I would like the writer to bother, and at least do that small effort to deliver basic look of those characters they're offering me to follow from page to page. Just my personal opinion.

P.S. I've also come to the point to think that some writers don't show MC's physical looks because they think it's an act of narcissism or something. It would have been narcissism if writer went on with long paragraphs and descriptions to imprint their ideals in your heads, but I don't think if they show you smallest details like color of hair or eye is an act of narcissism or self-importance. For me, pointing those smallest details is an act of respect toward the reader. And I'm saying this from the point of the reader.
“Do I look like the leader of this merry band of misfits?”

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:34 am

"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

HawkEliz489
Private E-2

Postby HawkEliz489 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:12 am

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:02 am

"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

HawkEliz489
Private E-2

Postby HawkEliz489 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:53 am

Previous

Return to Conversation question