[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
children's dialogue : Tips and Advice • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

children's dialogue

Here's the place to share a writing or marketing tip you've used successfully and want to pass along.
TwoStepCharlie
Private First Class

children's dialogue

Postby TwoStepCharlie » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:45 am

Something trickier-than-usual has come up in one of my current projects. I consider myself very competent at many kinds of dialogue but I have--on my hands right now-- a bunch of scenes to write which feature no adults at all. Just two American suburban children, a boy and a girl, each around 11 yrs old. I'm not too proud to ask for advice in this awkward task. Has anyone got any insight? I'm not often around kids and so I find it slightly cumbersome to 'go backward' to the very simplistic language they tend to use.

These are my observations so far.

~halting, tentative little speech fragments,
~no compound sentences
~much hemming-and-hawing and uncertainty.
~they speak slowly with many pauses and silences inbetween.
~they repeat themselves often
~they use simple words and phrases, limited vocabulary, and
~they make very 'obvious' remarks that adults usually skip over.
~they talk about 'what they see in front of them'
~sense of past or future is very compressed (that happened 'yesterday' or 'we're going there tomorrow')
~they chatter about food and drink and candy and ice cream a lot

Any other characteristics you can name?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by TwoStepCharlie on Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blow up the bridge?!

shadowwalker
Captain

Re: children's dialogue

Postby shadowwalker » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:12 pm

Child characters, like adults, act individually. Hesitant speech often comes from a strained relationship with adults, or simply because the child is shy. Other kids speak as clearly and as articulately as the average adult. Some will have a relatively large vocabulary, others not so much. Don't fall into the trap of stereotypes simply because the characters are a different age. They're your characters; you decide their speech patterns.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

Alice Jennings
Private E-1

Postby Alice Jennings » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:33 am

max2011
Captain

Postby max2011 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:51 pm

From my experience as a teacher: speech also depends on their upbringing. I knew a little boy who spoke in complete sentences for everything, and another boy who was only six years old and had a high vocabulary because the parents spoke to him a certain way. Of course, there are those children who hardly speak and their sentences are incomplete. Whatever you decide, observe children speak at a park or library, then be consistent with what you write. good luck!

nonfictionwriter
Private E-1

Postby nonfictionwriter » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:26 pm

twostepcharlie: I think you are slightly underestimating 11 year old. what you wrote in your opening post is more typical of 7 year olds. kids are more and more sophisticated these days. If you look at cartoons these days, they have complicated dialogue and plot lines. I think that you are on the right tract, but the differences between kids and adults are often more subtle. I think that children around age 11 are very emotional, sensitive to criticism, and interested in social standing. They often have an internal clash between obedience and disobedience.

Return to Tips and Advice