Choose a book, burn the other.

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
Mohamed Ali
Private E-1

Choose a book, burn the other.

Postby Mohamed Ali » Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:04 pm

At the risk of sounding silly,I just wanted to try something fun as an opportunity to get to know you folks.

I'll give you a choice from two books. If you could choose one at the cost of never reading the other, which would you choose and why? The person who answers posts the next two books. Who knows, it might inspire someone else to read the book you choose. Or it might make you want to look up books you are yet to read.

Frank Herbert's Dune?

or

Dan Simmons's Hyperion?

Zorg
Private E-1

Re: Choose a book, burn the other.

Postby Zorg » Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:39 pm

I'd have to go with choosing Dune. It's just a great read and it also introduces the concept of Butlerian jihad, which may not actually be a bad idea nowadays.

Mikhail Bulgakov's The Master and Margarita?

or

Don DeLillo's Underworld?
Wildcat... wild... cat... pow... wildcat...

heyharris1
Private E-1

Postby heyharris1 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:18 pm

Id would have to go with R.A. Salvatore the dark elf trilogy to read. To me its just simply one of the best books available. It keeps me turning page after page non stop.
The book or series of books I would burn would be the whole game of thrones series, as I feel it was some of the worst literary junk I have ever read, How I made it through without driving a spike into my eye I will never know.
jim

TwoStepCharlie
Private First Class

Postby TwoStepCharlie » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:11 pm

I like all the posts in this thread. Diggin' the way these guys think.

I don't know how to answer the OP though, myself. I'm against any kind of book burning, ever.

Certainly there are books I will never admire. We all have our tastes and our preferences. But I still wouldn't burn them...
Blow up the bridge?!

Return to Book Discussion