[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
The Best Laptop for Writers : Recommended Resources • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

The Best Laptop for Writers

If you've come across a great book, Web site, organization, etc., that you find particularly useful for writers, share it here.
williamadams

Re: The Best Laptop for Writers

Postby williamadams » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:40 pm

williamadams

Postby williamadams » Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:43 pm

TwoStepCharlie
Private First Class

Postby TwoStepCharlie » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:57 pm

#1 feature is a keyboard with backlight keys and/or a tiny keyboard light, for writing in low-light conditions. After a long day at work (retinas already weary) many writers find themselves still 'at it' deep into the night. So you want all the lights out and just the glow from the keyboard to compose by.

Also: never store anything important on a laptop. A laptop with multiple USB ports is ideal because you want all your important stuff on portable USB storage. Multiple backups of those. A laptop can be damaged or get stolen, and if so, there goes all your effort. Same thing with music: if you like music while you write, store it on a USB stick and use a USB port on your laptop to play it. Hence the need for multiple ports.
Blow up the bridge?!

Piccoro
Private E-1

Postby Piccoro » Thu Aug 31, 2017 5:47 pm

I'm surprised I stumbled upon this post searching for laptops in the first page of google. I am trying to decide whether or not to buy the macbook air or the surface pro for writing/school. I was wondering what you guys think of the Air if any of you own it or had previously own it. I'm about to pull the trigger, head to the nearest apple store and buy it after reading a review about the keyboard, battery life and because it seems to be popular among writers/bloggers : http://laptopstudy.com/best-laptop-for-writers/. It isn't that expensive either. Are there any other laptops with a great keyboard and ultra long battery life?

rob-lost
Corporal

Postby rob-lost » Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:10 am

As a cybersecurity analyst, I'm troubled by the Web site just mentioned.

Domain name less than a year old. Very little traffic until two months ago, then a spike...

None of this is proof of anything. It just feels "off." Like someone's been toying with click rates, or with SEO shenanigans.

Part of my job is paranoia, so take this with a grain of salt, but I advise against that site... for now.

Still, as mentioned, the Macbook Air is quite popular. I have a Surface Pro 4 and like it. However, the attachable keyboard doesn't work so well for (if you'll pardon the pun) laptop work. It almost needs a flat surface on which to write.

For the budget-conscious, I would actually recommend a Chromebook. US$300-US$400 can get you a pretty nice one. Although, the Chromebook really needs always-available Internet to be at its best.

I also want to step back to TwoStepCharlie's post from October.

==A laptop with multiple USB ports is ideal because you want all your important stuff on portable USB storage. Multiple backups of those. A laptop can be damaged or get stolen, and if so, there goes all your effort. Same thing with music: if you like music while you write, store it on a USB stick and use a USB port on your laptop to play it.==

I disagree... partially.

Online storage services like Google Drive, Dropbox, and OneDrive all include small applications to allow synching selected (or even all) folders. I use OneDrive, and the application makes OneDrive look like an extra drive on my Windows laptop. I work with synch'd folders while there's no Internet, and next time I have Internet, the app synchronizes with OneDrive. If I have Internet while I'm working, then the access to the file is direct with OneDrive. To me, this is more reliable than the USB drive. Not that USB drives are unreliable. It's just that such drives get lost all the time.
Write for the love of writing? Try my Writers Writing forum
http://writerswriting.proboards.com

Piccoro
Private E-1

Postby Piccoro » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:54 pm

The site isn't as bad as the others, they offer no advice or help whatsoever. I got some useful info about software I could use on a laptop (unfortunately I don't currently have one).

A chromebook is not a bad idea actually. I already have one but i can't install anything on it except google apps. Mine is old and outdated perhaps a new chromebook would be better. I've read about installing linux on it to get more software but I don't even know how that works. I think i will try to do it though before i buy another device. Yeah, Chromebooks are extremely cheap, have ultra long battery lives and are build like tanks apparently (mine is over 4 years old) if i could install other windows software on it like scrivener, that'd be enough for now.

Previous

Return to Recommended Resources