[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
The Best Laptop for Writers : Recommended Resources • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

The Best Laptop for Writers

If you've come across a great book, Web site, organization, etc., that you find particularly useful for writers, share it here.
defttouch
Private E-1

The Best Laptop for Writers

Postby defttouch » Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:17 pm

Hey all,

I came across this which you might find helpful if you're struggling to choose a laptop for writing.

I personally own a MacBook Air which I love.

What laptops do you guys use?

robjvargas
Captain

Re: The Best Laptop for Writers

Postby robjvargas » Fri Sep 02, 2016 7:59 am

For writing? Pretty much anything on the market.

Writing is something that requires very little computing power compared to the number of computers that are out there.

If you stick to a brand name that's widely recognized, it's very hard to go wrong.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

jetsettingcopywriter
Private E-1

Postby jetsettingcopywriter » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:46 pm

Because I write while I'm gallivanting around the globe, a certain amount of robustness is essential. For this, choose a laptop with a solid state hard drive. As far as brands go, I've had no problems with my Asus - it's been going great for years. I've used it from Slovenia to Samoa and it hasn't let me down yet.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:45 pm

I'm another ASUS fan. Especially the newer models. But ASUS computers are both cheap and reliable. Cheap is essential when you may have to treat a computer like it's a Frisbee, when someone else may treat it even worse, or when there's a real possibility it will be stolen or confiscated.

Truthfully, though, we're past the days when there were major differences between computers. The only real differences now are size and features. It's difficult to buy a bad computer, or one that doesn't have everything a writer needs. Windows stopped crashing a long time ago, and contrary to popular opinion, it's as easy to write a virus for a Mac as for a PC, and more any more are doing so as Macs have grown in popularity. PCs seem more vulnerable only because they're such a large target, and because so many people who know nothing about computers use them.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:27 am

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:43 am

MacDefender was malware (though not a virus). Just 3 or 4 years ago. In fact, it's still infecting Macs.

I use a convertible notebook myself. A Lenovo Yoga 2 13". Quite suitable for writing, and a little bit of gaming (primarily Starcraft). I've been very happy with it.

If we're talking about writing, then it's very hard to say one brand is better than another. It comes down to personal preference more than technical differences.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:48 am

As long as the keyboard is comfortable, the word-processing software is compatible with what publishers require (Word comes to mind - it's worth the extra money over the "free" clones), and it provides access to the Internet, the particular brand doesn't matter, used or new. As far as being sturdy, you won't know that until it breaks down. And I don't recommend dropping them to find its limits, lol.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby cynicalwanderer » Thu Sep 15, 2016 3:33 pm

"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Thu Sep 15, 2016 8:13 pm

The keyboard is the most important thing, and they're not all equal. I like mine with the trackpad and place for the heels of my hands to rest beneath the keyboard.

I tried to use the (virtual) keyboard on a tablet, and that was impossible.

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:58 pm

All the major manufacturers have business laptop models that have available docking stations. This is definitely more expensive. But VERY convenient if you need mobile technology, but the ergonomics of "desktop" technology as well.

Lenovo does this with their Thinkpad line of laptops.

There are also USB docking stations. I strongly suggest you have USB 3 ports (at least one) for this, though.

Next

Return to Recommended Resources