[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Does free verse have any rules? : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Does free verse have any rules?

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
steve-in-kville
Private E-1

Does free verse have any rules?

Postby steve-in-kville » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:15 am

I'm shifting back to writing poetry after a few years of intense journaling. I acquired a few issues of the American Poetry Review... some things that pass as poetry sorta caught me a bit off guard. Which begs the question, does free verse have any rules? The form interests me.

pls
Site Admin

Re: Does free verse have any rules?

Postby pls » Sun Sep 04, 2016 11:42 am

Free verse is different from prose in that it is arranged differently on a page and has some cadence, or rhythm to it. Those are "rules" as such, but free verse should have some regularity to it so that readers will recognize it as poetry and not just lines of prose cut into shorter lines.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

steve-in-kville
Private E-1

Postby steve-in-kville » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:04 pm

I just re-read some poetry that I was questioning.... this makes sense now that I know what to look for!

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:43 pm

As Robert Frost said, free verse is like playing tennis with the net down. But make sure it is free verse and not blank verse, or another form of metered poetry. Anyway, the only rule for free verse is staying something the editor wants to hear, and in a way that makes it unique.

steve-in-kville
Private E-1

Postby steve-in-kville » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:15 pm

paula-hicks
Private E-1

Postby paula-hicks » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:03 am

Almost all of poetry make sense. It depends on what do you like.

Noizchild
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Noizchild » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:03 pm

No, not to my knowledge.
You ask me what I thought about
Before we were lovers.
The answer is easy.
Before I met you
I didn't have anything to think about.

-- From "The Love Poems of Marichiko"

Mina21
Private E-1

Postby Mina21 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:19 am

As long as it has some sort of rhythm or cadence then I guess that's the only rule to it

Return to Writers' Block Party