[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Grammar Glitch : Writers' Block Party • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Grammar Glitch

What's going on in your writing world? Connect with the writing community here and talk about whatever's on your mind.
jmar2
Major General

Grammar Glitch

Postby jmar2 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:00 am

Hi,
Been a while. Here's one for all you whack-a-rule grammarians. Singular/Plural subjects and the associated verb.

First off, I do accept and realize that the best solution is to rewrite and remove all ambiguity. But let's assume for some reason, I am a prima donna and the sentence stays.

Here are the designs and template. Here is the designs and template. or Here is the template and designs.

What is the correct grammatical rule?

Thanks from that little spot just behind my right ear.

j

u.v.ray
Private E-2

Re: Grammar Glitch

Postby u.v.ray » Thu Jul 14, 2016 12:02 pm

Not the middle one. You could use either of the other two.
Out from Murder Slim Press:
We Are Glass - Short Stories.
Spiral Out - novella
The Migrant - novella
Black Cradle - novel

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Thu Jul 14, 2016 3:15 pm

The Ray is correct. But note that the two sentences mean different things.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Rosedarling
Sergeant First Class

Postby Rosedarling » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:08 pm

The last one reads better.
Formerly known as rosebud
https://rosaliehovis.wordpress.com

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:15 am

That first sentence seemed correct and sounded right to me; the second was obviously wrong, and the third seemed wrong to me. So I went to the Purdue Owl (my go-to grammar site), which says:

When the subject of a sentence is composed of two or more nouns or pronouns connected by and, use a plural verb.

I would therefore use the first only. :)
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

Loren Killdeer
Private First Class

Postby Loren Killdeer » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:00 am

Hello there!

I'm a non english-speaker, but I'll talk about what I have been told when I was learning this language.

Here are the designs and template.
Design and template are two things, then you should use are! The first sentence is the one that sounds correct to me, so that would be the one I'd use.

I hope I'm not mistaken, and that I was helpful!
See you later!
“Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very;' your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be.”
― Mark Twain

Return to Writers' Block Party