[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Your Personal Top Ten... : Book Discussion • Page 4 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Your Personal Top Ten...

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Re: Your Personal Top Ten...

Postby cynicalwanderer » Thu Jun 23, 2016 2:01 pm

"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

Loren Killdeer
Private First Class

Postby Loren Killdeer » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:24 am

Awesome thread! Here I go with my top ten

1- A Confederacy of Dunces - John Kenedy Toole. Awesome book that critics our society. Really Humoristic.
2- The colour of Magic - Terry Pratchett. The first one of the Discworld series. The one I have the most affection
3- The Colour that fell from the Sky - Lovecraft. I know it's not a novel, or a book, but this story gets me everytime I read it like it's the first time ever.
4- The Golden Compass - Philiph Pullman. He is one awesome novelist. The magic that runs in this book catches you from the very beginning.
5- Las Plantas Carnivoras - Pablo De Santis. Awesome writer. Gave this book to someone that never read it and never retourned it back to me. Great loss.
6- The Catcher in the Rye - Salinger. Anything that Salinger writes is a masterpiece. Don't ask me why or how.
7- Matilda - Rohal Dahl. I could read this a million times. Rohal is an incredible author.
8- El Libro de los Abrazos - Eduardo Galeano. Every story is worth reading.
9- 100 Años de Soledad - G.G.Marquez. Amazing story. Sometimes funny, incredibly sad, sometimes creepy.
10- A Casual Vacancy -Rowling. First book I read this year, blew my mind. It's awesome what this very known writer can do outside the Potter world.

Anyway, the worst part of this top ten is that I love every book at the same place. And obviously, ten is never enough!
“Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very;' your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be.”
― Mark Twain

shkempfer
Private E-1

Postby shkempfer » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:27 pm

In no particular order.

1. Under the Dome- Stephen King.
2. We The Living- Ayn Rand.
3. To Kill A Mockingbird- Harper Lee.
4. 1984- George Orwell.
5. The Secret Life of Bees- Sue Monk Kidd.
6. A Song of Ice and Fire- George R.R. Martin.
7. The Maltese Falcon- Dashiell Hammett.
8. The Fall of the House of Usher- Edgar Allan Poe.
9. Atlas Shrugged- Ayn Rand.
10. The Da Vinci Code- Dan Brown.

Currently reading:
Wizard's First Rule- Terry Goodkind.

TwoStepCharlie
Private First Class

Postby TwoStepCharlie » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:59 pm

Top Ten what? Favorite Books?
Okay, I'll just do a nonfiction list for convenience rather than mix genres together.
(I mostly read philosophy & history).

1. The Phenomenology of Perception - Maurice Merleau-Ponty
2. Being and Nothingness - Sartre
3. The Anatomy of Melancholy - Burton
4. Collected Essays - Emerson
5. Walden - Thoreau
6. Being and Time - Heidegger
7. Chapman's Piloting, Seamanship and Small Boat Handling
8. Fragments - Heraclitus
9. Woodcraft & Camping - Nessmuk
10. Metaphysics - Aristotle
Blow up the bridge?!