[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
e-book reading : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

e-book reading

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
Oldtimer
Colonel

e-book reading

Postby Oldtimer » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:31 am

This link was posted to me today. I thought it was interesting. What do you think?

Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Re: e-book reading

Postby cynicalwanderer » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:36 pm

It'd be nice to see a print renaissance, to be sure. I do miss the old tactile pleasure of reading a paperback.

That said though, I can't see myself giving up e-books and going back to the impracticality of trying to find bookshelf space for my collection, even though the reading experience feels better with print. When I moved to the UK, I went mostly digital only (these days I only buy a handful of print books each year, the rest on Kindle) and left behind a dozen boxes of must-keeps and gave the rest to the Op Shop. Not just for the efficiency of space, but often e-books are priced more cheaply, so I get more book for my buck.

Mind you, I dropped my Kindle in the sink the other week when I was washing the dishes and reading at the same time, and it has developed a wonky back button since then, so if it dies completely I might have to resort to print books for a while until I can replace it!
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

Oldtimer
Colonel

Postby Oldtimer » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:49 pm

Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:59 pm

It doesn't surprise me that ebook sales are slowing - partly the "fatique" thing (a lot of people are becoming more aware of how much time they spend on their electronics; just look at the latest McDonald's ads ;) ). But the novelty is wearing off, as well. People were buying books "cheap" or free, and by the hundreds. Problem was, they never got to reading all of them - they just had them. And then there's the technology itself - show me an electronic device and I'll show you glitches and disasters waiting to happen. I certainly don't expect ebook sales to die, but the leveling off should have been expected.

Personally, I'll keep building and filling the bookshelves. :D
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

Aaron J Kaplan
Private E-1

Postby Aaron J Kaplan » Wed Jul 06, 2016 11:12 am

I like the idea of using ebooks for first-time reads, and then buying the hard-copies for collections and later reads if I enjoy the book.

I definitely understand the desire to be away from the electronics, especially among the younger generations (which I myself fit into) who still want to see the world before settling down.. and with the low cost of ebooks, so much more reading is accessible, which surely must not only overwhelm the reader, but confuse them as well as to what they want to read, leaving the easy decision to simply put down the ereader and go outside to "play," or whatever the non-writer people my age do for fun.. :lol:
www.aaronjkaplan.com

Loren Killdeer
Private First Class

Postby Loren Killdeer » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:37 am

Printed books are incredible expensive where I live, and something finding a novel it's quite hard. My city it's not too big, and it only has two importat libraries: and they miss many of the books I would like to read. That's why I won't give up e-books!

And I have never had digital fatigue. And I don't even have a kindle or a e-book reader, I use my phone (yeah, dumb, but it works).

If you ask me, digital selling didn't low because of fatigue. It lowered because of piracy.
“Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very;' your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be.”
― Mark Twain

G.E.Plum
Private E-1

Postby G.E.Plum » Sun Jul 31, 2016 6:05 pm

Do either of your libraries offer interlibrary loan? Most public libraries do. If a book you want is not in your library, or your regional library system, they should be able to get it from another library/another library system on interlibrary loan. This service greatly expands the number of books available to library patrons. All most libraries need is the title, author, year of publication, and ISBN (you can find all those online, often at Amazon).

Grumpy Mike
Private E-1

Postby Grumpy Mike » Thu Nov 24, 2016 7:30 am

Return to Conversation question