[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Which Side Would You Argue? : Conversation question • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Which Side Would You Argue?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
Terry T.A. Rodgers
Site Admin

Re: Which Side Would You Argue?

Postby Terry T.A. Rodgers » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:13 pm

Royalty Ridge
Private E-1

Postby Royalty Ridge » Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:53 pm

Terry, there was nothing wrong with your reply. I hit the wrong reply button.

My initial post isn't mine. I come across the question already at least 40 years ago and found the copy in the piece of value so that I offered it to my eighth-graders on occasion, and they always had much to say about it. I no longer remember the author who wrote it or the publication in which I found it, but the author was on the side that good writing leads to good thinking, which ran contrary to the view of many. In his explanation, he pointed to the lack of discipline in thinking and the required discipline required for good writing. He argued that thinking is often all over the place, not ordered, often overly stated once expressed, and probably not good at all, though it might be characterized as such. Writing, on the other hand, if it's to be effective and communicative, must adhere to a discipline that involves brevity, precision of language, avoidance of redundancy, and similar items. Write well enough and often enough and his point was that such discipline will make its way into one's thinking, even if pen and paper are not at hand. He was not of the mind that thinking was not a part of writing, but that the writer with good writing skills would be able to put a harness on his thoughts and make it go directly to where he wanted it to go, and to some degree it would later extend into his thinking while speaking with others or while sitting alone and musing.

Anyway, this was one person's view on the matter and I agree with it. I was curious if others were in agreement and could further his thinking on the matter. Or, if one disagreed and thought the reverse was true, we could hear one's thinking on that position.

Crono91
Lieutenant

Postby Crono91 » Sun Mar 06, 2016 7:05 pm

Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

Loren Killdeer
Private First Class

Postby Loren Killdeer » Sat May 14, 2016 8:46 am

What do you mean by good?

Being a good moral person? Being a correctly written person? Emphaty? Hard work?
I'm kind of lost! What do you mean by good writting then?

Anyway, I liked the other people anwers on the subject, and their way of understanding it.
“Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very;' your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be.”
― Mark Twain

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Sat May 14, 2016 4:22 pm

u.v.ray
Private E-2

Postby u.v.ray » Wed Jun 15, 2016 8:30 am

Out from Murder Slim Press:
We Are Glass - Short Stories.
Spiral Out - novella
The Migrant - novella
Black Cradle - novel

nhope
Lieutenant

Postby nhope » Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:54 am

I've stopped thinking about this question because it's making me a little crazy.

It's questioning whether or not one can believe that good writing = good thinking or good thinking = good writing. IMO, nothing works in a linear fashion except mathematics. Meandering and external variability propel us from here to there, whether in writing, driving, or figuring out the value of "x".

I don't know what makes good writing or good thinking any more than I know what makes good gardening, doctoring, or piloting, other than the end result. But then, you have to define that as well.

The question is personal, as DrG2 and uvray have alluded.

The brain can be irrational and untrustworthy. It needs a steady stream of intellectual nourishment to survive. I guess that would affect your original question as well.

Previous

Return to Conversation question