[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4752: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4754: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4755: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4756: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
Scariest book you ever read? : Book Discussion • Page 3 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Scariest book you ever read?

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
wdarcy
Major

Re: Scariest book you ever read?

Postby wdarcy » Thu Jul 23, 2015 5:44 pm

"Wagner's 'Das Rheingold'" (Oxford 1993). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 1995.

"Elements of Sonata Theory" co-authored with James Hepokoski(Oxford 2006). Winner of the Society for Music Theory's Wallace Berry Award, 2008.

AlliOop
Private E-1

Postby AlliOop » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:22 pm

Hmm, nothing really. books have never scared me. But the one that did disturb me was Cormac McCarthy's recent, The Road. I though the book was really good and I love how he wrote it and how he ended it, and I zipped through it in maybe 3 sittings. But it's also the first book I regret reading. So many scenes were so easy to imagine happening for real, and so easy to put myself in the lead characters emotional situation. I definitely thought it was an excellent book, but afterward, even during, I was like "aw man, what am I doing to myself?"

haha.

Loren Killdeer
Private First Class

Postby Loren Killdeer » Wed May 11, 2016 8:14 am

I'm an scary kitten. I really like Lovecraft and Poe, but those are not scary.

And author that really got my nerves when I was a child was Horacio Quiroga. Its an argentine author, but if you coul look at it, do it!
“Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very;' your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be.”
― Mark Twain

HawkEliz489
Private E-2

Postby HawkEliz489 » Mon May 23, 2016 2:39 pm

I don't think I've ever read an actual horror book (though I love horror stuffs). But I've read some Creepypastas :mrgreen: Most of them are really creepy and intense.
I've read 'Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street'. Can't say it was a horror, but it had some horror nature.
“Do I look like the leader of this merry band of misfits?”

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Tue May 24, 2016 9:31 am

I have to confess that the scariest book I HAVEN'T read is Stephen King's "Cujo". I made the mistake of watching the movie, and now I can't pick up the book and read it.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Tue May 24, 2016 10:48 am

[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

hammer

Postby hammer » Sat May 28, 2016 11:06 pm

The scariest book I read when I was a teenager was Stephen King's Pet Semetary. It doesn't scare me so much now, but he still has the ability to scare the pants off me. His son Joe Hill has a similar talent. In fact, I recently read Heart Shaped Box, and almost had a heart attack. This was due to the fact that something seriously creepy happened while I was reading it. It was the middle of the night, the only light in the house was coming from my Kindle, and my husband was asleep, as was my child. In the book, the MC and his GF were walking down the hall, and the MC was trying to be quiet, so as not to attract the attention of the elderly ghost who he was haunting him, with evil intentions. The MC spoke, and the ghost looked up and saw him. I was reading the line that said something to the effect of "the ghost rose to his feet", and there was a bang in the other room of my house. I have never come so close to screaming at a book in my life. Turns out it was only my child's little potty seat falling over, but part of me still insisted it was the ghost that was now in MY house. And I definitely wouldn't have been that scared if Joe Hill was a terrible writer instead of an amazingly horrifying one.

Previous

Return to Book Discussion