[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Use More Expressive Words article : Conversation question • Page 3 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Use More Expressive Words article

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
tkdubb
Private E-1

Re: Use More Expressive Words article

Postby tkdubb » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:00 pm

I asked a question on the use of words and although the topic is correct, the context is not.
Newbie alert, I apologize for posting my question here. Created my own thread, thank you.
Last edited by tkdubb on Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:07 pm

Um - what about it?
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

tkdubb
Private E-1

Postby tkdubb » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:13 pm

how do you delete a post? one of your own of course

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:59 pm

LMarriver
Private E-1

Postby LMarriver » Mon May 16, 2016 9:10 am

Okay, easy on the English teachers. There is probably more to the story here. After you have read 125 stories written by 7th graders who only have "he/she said" in their toolbox, you too might go a little overboard banning a few words. Personally, I don't ban it, but I do have my students explore during revision other ways to handle the situation. The goal of every good English teacher should be to help, encourage, and motivate new writers to explore language. Yes, sometimes that means taking away a crutch for a little bit while they try out other options.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Mon May 16, 2016 9:36 am

Loren Killdeer
Private First Class

Postby Loren Killdeer » Tue May 17, 2016 4:14 pm

Everything wrong with the Wall Street journal! (I don't want to subscribe xD)

But for everything you have been saying, from my side I never had someone to criticize my writing. My teachers weren't interested on making us writing when we were children and most of the people I know have really little vocabulary (I mean, right from an study, there are parts of the poblation here that only uses about 150 words. No more). They live without any grammatical rules (chatting with them on facebook is hell. They wont ever use commas) and terrible pronunciation. They made up verbs, even.

Everything I learned (and maybe is not as much as you know, guys) comes from my efforts and love of reading. I think that we do need teachers to work on vocabulary and expression, even if the kid won't be a Dickens.

(Also, I have read some of the worst literature made in my city. Really bad literature).
“Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very;' your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be.”
― Mark Twain

taariya
Private E-1

Postby taariya » Tue May 17, 2016 11:58 pm

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby cynicalwanderer » Wed May 18, 2016 3:15 am

"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

Previous

Return to Conversation question