[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Are you afraid of grammar nazis? I am not anymore. : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Are you afraid of grammar nazis? I am not anymore.

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
sallukp
Private E-1

Are you afraid of grammar nazis? I am not anymore.

Postby sallukp » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:51 am

I am an aspiring writer. I mainly write short stories. But I am not good at grammar and stuff. I was afraid of the Grammar Nazis as they were used to point out my mistakes in public. They even had degraded my writings. Then I happened to read this wonderful article. . It inspired me a lot not to care about grammar nazis and to write on. When I read it, I thought I should share it so that every aspiring writer get an advantage from it.

So you should read it please. See what I did in the last sentence :D :D :D

Terry T.A. Rodgers
Site Admin

Re: Are you afraid of grammar nazis? I am not anymore.

Postby Terry T.A. Rodgers » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:11 am

Although you do not need to listen to the grammar Nazis, you do need to continue to strive toward not having to listen to them. Proper grammar and spelling are extremely important to a writer. :D

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:54 am

Agree with Terry - grammar is that thing that allows others to understand what we're trying to say. And while I've learned to hold my tongue in casual exchanges, I do notice grammatical errors, and it does cause my estimation of people to change. This is particularly true of writers, who are supposed to understand the tools of their trade.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Fri Mar 18, 2016 9:21 am

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:13 pm

C-Girl
Private E-1

Postby C-Girl » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:20 am

I agree that grammar is important and we should all strive to achieve an excellent level of competence in our writings. That said, if you have a wonderful story but need help with your grammar, you can find/hire someone to help you. If you have perfect grammar but a terrible story, no one can help you. Get your story down. Study the craft. Study grammar. Bring it all together in one wonderful package. Pat yourself on the back when you do.

Crono91
Lieutenant

Postby Crono91 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 6:27 pm

Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:35 pm

I recently picked up a college writing book (Little, Brown Handbook) at a used-book store. I read the 480 pages that were not specifically about writing research papers and other essays (grammar and style). It was good to read, although I didn't learn much, I did get a refresher (and got clarification on a couple of points where I had been uncertain).

I think it would be a good thing to read a writing (grammar and style) book regularly.

Loren Killdeer
Private First Class

Postby Loren Killdeer » Sat May 14, 2016 8:39 am

I'm not afraid of them! English is not my first language, and even if I consider myself fluent enough I know I make mistakes. I make mistakes all the time!, so its pretty different for me when someone notices. It makes me learn, and when I finish all this and I start to translate it I hope to get a good grammar nazi to help me out.

That does not mean that I won't try to make my best. I study my verbs and correct puntuation. I'm my own language I'm a mute grammmar nazi all the time (only god knows all the mistakes I have to read and listen everyday. Years of evolution of language to get people to easily destroy it).

Make your best!
“Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very;' your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be.”
― Mark Twain

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby cynicalwanderer » Tue May 17, 2016 4:29 pm

I have a recurring nightmare where I'm being chased by Strunk & White wielding blood-stained split infinitives at me.
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

Next

Return to Conversation question