[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Improving my writing by reading: book suggestions? : Book Discussion • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Improving my writing by reading: book suggestions?

Read a good book lately? Want to discuss it with others? Share what you're reading and find out what should be on your bookshelf.
pls
Site Admin

Re: Improving my writing by reading: book suggestions?

Postby pls » Mon May 09, 2016 2:05 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Loren Killdeer
Private First Class

Postby Loren Killdeer » Wed May 11, 2016 8:07 am

I think to learn the most reading what you enjoy the most!

But, for example, one author that obsess me to this time is Lovecraft, and you can learn a lot from him, without copying his style and story. But yes, the more you read, the more you learn. As along with anything in other subjects of art!

For myself, I going to list every author they are naming.

Which is your genre by the way?
“Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very;' your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be.”
― Mark Twain

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Wed May 11, 2016 9:43 am

My genre? Young Adult.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

jetsettingcopywriter
Private E-1

Postby jetsettingcopywriter » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:47 pm

For relaxation, I like to read authors that impress me with their 'effortless' style. John D. MacDonald and Rex Stout are always easy to read. When I read books about copywriting (my profession), I stick to the masters: Bob Bly, Joseph Sugarman, Dan Kennedy, Ed Gandia, Steve Slaunwhite, Peter Bowerman.

I though Lee Child's Killing Floor was an exceptional debut thriller, but Lee has had a couple of duds in the series, too. 'The Visitor' is my favorite.

TwoStepCharlie
Private First Class

Postby TwoStepCharlie » Thu Oct 06, 2016 2:06 pm

Avid readers often acquire the ambition to become writers themselves. It's a well-known rubric. I applaud you.

I've had a very good year with my own book picks. All sorts of 'finds' and 'surprises' and 'discoveries' and 'wins'.

If I were to recommend just one extraordinary book to a young reader --with an eye towards building their vocabulary and their sense of what words can really do--word pyrotechnics, as it were--I'd nominate Robert Burton's 17c. compendium of knowledge called 'The Anatomy of Melancholy'. A genuine magnum opus first published in 1621. Funny, informative, both magical & real at the same time. Authentic.

It may take you a year to read it, but oh boy is it ever worth it.
Blow up the bridge?!

Previous

Return to Book Discussion