[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Being sought out on Social Media : Conversation question • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Being sought out on Social Media

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
robjvargas
Captain

Re: Being sought out on Social Media

Postby robjvargas » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:48 am

Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:23 pm

JustPressPlay
Private E-1

Postby JustPressPlay » Thu May 05, 2016 5:33 am

I think it depends on which social media platform as to whether that's the given thing or not. It's the expectation with LinkedIn, for example, that you would naturally want to make a connection with your personal connections' other connections if they're related to your field. But on Facebook it's a faux pas to friend too many people unless you *are* a public figure. With Facebook, you don't want to actually "friend" anyone you haven't at least met with once. With Twitter, you follow as many people as you have time to read. Twitter is a lot more about selecting what you want to put into your brain 140 characters at a time. Tumblr is married to Twitter, so some of the culture carries over. Blogspot and Wordpress are both classic publishing platforms for blogs and websites, but they do have a "social networking" function in the form of comments and adding other people's blogs to your reader. I'm not familiar with many other rated PG social networks, but I'll bet the same principal holds true: each comes with its own mini-culture and norms.

cynicalwanderer
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby cynicalwanderer » Fri May 06, 2016 8:44 am

Treat it like a Pascal's Wager situation, I say. Even if it turns out they're just fishing, it doesn't cost you much effort to respond and add them to your contacts.
"I've stopped giving advice. Even when people ask for it, they resent getting it." -Ross Macdonald.

The_Scribbler
Private E-1

Postby The_Scribbler » Fri May 06, 2016 2:06 pm

Lots of agents use social media these days, but if an agent is asking you about 'Create Space' then I'd be wary too. Agents don't use Create Space. They pitch to publishing houses. I got my agent through a pitch event on twitter. There are tons of various pitch events and competitions that go through social media. Legit, big agents often take part in these.

In the case of the pitch event that got me my agent, you pitched your book with the appropriate hashtag. If an agent liked it, then it was an invitation to query them directly. It put's you above the general slush pile.

In any case, no matter what, you should be vetting any agent you submit too. You can cross reference almost any agent against Absolute Write in google and find the thread on the website, the Publisher's Marketplace let's you know about sales, and always check Preditors and Editors.

Even if you are invited to query, if the query itself isn't up to par you're more than likely to get a pass.

However, agents are very much usually social media, especially twitter, to find new clients.

Jessica Sinsheimer created the #MSWL or Manuscript Wish List, which is now not only a hashtag, but a website where agents can post what sort of new manuscripts they're looking for. So, agents interacting on social media is legit, but again, its up to you to make sure that you're checking this agents out to find out if they are legitimate or someone trolling your feed.

Good luck!

Loren Killdeer
Private First Class

Postby Loren Killdeer » Wed May 11, 2016 8:02 am

This is an interesting story. Its good the learn about this and everyone its posting its own point of view!

For myself, I highly untrust editors. But its because of my point of view about the editing and bookmarketing industry.
“Substitute 'damn' every time you're inclined to write 'very;' your editor will delete it and the writing will be just as it should be.”
― Mark Twain

Previous

Return to Conversation question