[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Do people steal work on this site? : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Do people steal work on this site?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
Shimmitar
Private E-2

Do people steal work on this site?

Postby Shimmitar » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:57 pm

I doubt people do, but the only reason why i ask, is because i'm kind of curios.

robjvargas
Captain

Re: Do people steal work on this site?

Postby robjvargas » Fri Apr 08, 2016 8:36 am

We ask that posted work for critique be kept short. 3000 words max, I think it is.

To be blunt, you own what you write, but no one owns ideas.

With that in mind, why steal a fraction of someone's work? What do you (or I) gain from taking 3000 words of someone's 50,000 word novel? Just as an example.

Does it happen? Probably SOMEONE comes here stupid enough to do it. But if you look at the payback on such activity, there isn't any payback. You might as well write it yourself. So why do it?
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:02 am

No one is going to steal beginning writers' works here. They'd have to be members to access the critique forums, anyway.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:08 pm

If someone did steal your work, what on earth would they do with it?

Crono91
Lieutenant

Postby Crono91 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:49 pm

Virtually every novel you see published was stolen from authors on this site.
Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:23 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:14 pm

I continually hope that someone will steal work I've posted on the internet and get it published.
I'll prove that I wrote it, end up getting the cash, get publicity, and the person will have done the hard part for me - - getting it published.

kamalayka
Private E-2

Postby kamalayka » Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:06 pm

I had a sentence of mine appear in somebody else's published story. (I only noticed it because the sentence contained a very peculiar metaphor I had created.) Anyway, after a bit of digging, it turned out that the author had been a slush reader at one of the magazines I regularly submitted to.

Some people lack scruples. Just the way the world works.

Dreaming Imrryr
Sergeant First Class

Postby Dreaming Imrryr » Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:53 pm

Aeoneye
Private E-1

Postby Aeoneye » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:06 am

This was definitely something I had worried about in the past, but I got over it. Anyone who goes through the effort to wholeheartedly steal an idea from a forum would not have the discipline to endure the grueling writing process. They would give up before finishing a quarter of their first draft. They have no clue what you have in store for the rest of the novel. Not to mention elements that won't be written on the page that are only reflected in the reader's retrospect. They'd have to keep referencing back to your posts--this takes too much energy. I find the thought of dwelling on that fear is as useless as stealing novel ideas from a forum--no offense of course. Even if they thought, "hey that's a cool concept to cover, I'll do something like that," the concept will twist into an idea different from yours; which in essence is exactly what you did to someone else's idea. It's absolutely a common fear to have, but writing is more important than fearing!

Next

Return to Conversation question