Poetic Inquiry

Network with other poets, including fans of Robert Lee Brewer's Poetic Asides blog.
AJX
Private E-1

Poetic Inquiry

Postby AJX » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:34 pm

Is there a poetic equivalent to Stephen King's book "On Writing"

The advice King provides towards fiction writers was inspiring, most would agree. But is there a comparable book for those wanting to write poetry?

Oh yeah, introduction - I'm AJX and I want to write better poetry.

Dreaming Imrryr
Sergeant First Class

Re: Poetic Inquiry

Postby Dreaming Imrryr » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:30 pm

deleted
Last edited by Dreaming Imrryr on Mon Apr 25, 2016 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Terry T.A. Rodgers
Site Admin

Postby Terry T.A. Rodgers » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:21 am

Welcome to the forums.

Dreaming Imryr gave great advice. Instead of reading how to books, read all the different kinds of poetry you can find. These ARE your how to books.

AJX
Private E-1

Postby AJX » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:09 am

I agree with Dreaming Imryr to a certain point. If you want to write fiction, then read fiction. If you want to write poetry, then read poetry. At the same time, there are writers that seek advice and guidance on the technical aspects of writing better, how to improve their craft, and how to break into the industry. I've read several books about how to write poetry as well as collections of poetry, plays, and some of the classics and yet I have not found on that compares to Mr. King's book. So, my question remains - is there a poetic equivalent to "On Writing?"

How do I move this conversation to the Poetic's Aside forum?

Terry T.A. Rodgers
Site Admin

Postby Terry T.A. Rodgers » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:40 pm

I've moved the thread as requested. Maybe someone with more poetry experience can answer your question. Good luck.

max2011
Captain

Postby max2011 » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:10 am

Try reading Sound and Sense: An Introduction to Poetry (even if it's an older edition, the tips about how to read poetry help you define what you want to achieve in yours). Also, try Poetry for Beginners (This explains in simpler text what the previous book offers). But as mentioned above, read tons of poetry from all facts of life. Study them and try to emulate them. Write your own.

AJX
Private E-1

Postby AJX » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:56 pm

Thank you for the response. I have Sound and Sense 11th Edition in my stack of "yet to read" books on poetry along with about a dozen other titles. I do not have Poetry for Beginners, but I will look into it. In my "finished" pile I have: The Art and Craft of Poetry by Bugeja; Poetry A Pocket Anthology by R.S. Gwynn 3rd Edition; The Making of a Poem - A Norton Anthology of Poetic Forms by Strand and Boland; A Poetry Handbook by Oliver, and Poetic Meter and Form by Wynne. I'm currently reading The Poetry Home Repair Manual by former Poet Laureate Ted Kooser.

All of these books provide technical information on poetry and each in their own way provide different insight and direction. These books, combined with those I have yet to read, will no doubt surpass the information and inspiration I found in King's book. And, perhaps I'm looking for something that is just not there. But, because we don't know what we don't know - I had to pose the question.

AJX
Private E-1

Postby AJX » Sat Apr 16, 2016 4:53 am

Perhaps Mr. Brewer can comment on the subject?

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:33 pm

I'm not the best at writing poetry, though I've done so on and off since I was about fifteen or so. But if you're looking to learn more about it I would suggest reading a lot of it. Some of my favorites are Edgar Allen Poe, Emily Dickinson, William Shakespeare, and Alfred Lord Tennyson. Also I would suggest Edgar Allen Poe's short stories; "The Raven" and his book called he "Terrifying Tales (Tell Tale Heart, The Cask of the Amontillado, The Masque of Red Death, The Fall of the House of Usher, The Murders in the Rue Morgue, The Purloined Letter, The Pit and the Pendulum". My favorite one are "The Raven" and "The Masque of Red Death". Although we all do tend to add our own flare to what we write no matter what the rules are. I hope this really helps. :)
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

AJX
Private E-1

Postby AJX » Tue Apr 19, 2016 5:13 am

All the responses have been helpful, to which I say thanks to you and the others for their reply. I've read some of the classics like Poe, Shakespeare, and Beowulf. I've even been to Shakespeare's birthplace and seen his work performed there. I've read poets of today and even attended local poetry reading events and I can tell you hearing a poem read aloud by the author is a different experience than reading their work on page. I agree in order to write poetry well, we must read a lot of poetry. None the less, there are countless guides and references available for those wanting to break into the business and be successful prose writers, whether it be fiction, non-fiction, children's books, young adult and so on. I've found several dozen similar books for poetry (some mentioned above) and I'm meticulously making my way through them. I've also downloaded several topics from Writer's Digest on the subject. And yet, I'm still searching for the best of the best. Which, of all the book(s) specifically on the subject of how to write poetry, is (are) the best?

Next

Return to Poetic Asides