Do you ever want to write real?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
nhope
Lieutenant

Do you ever want to write real?

Postby nhope » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:56 am

Rather than fiction. I think fiction messes up how I think about things and lately I've been wondering if I just want to write what is, how it is.

Ever question what you write?

roda havet
Captain

Re: Do you ever want to write real?

Postby roda havet » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:44 am

I never questioned what I like to write. Though non-fiction is great, I like writing fiction because it gives me a way to express myself. It lets me take a break from reality and enter into a world (s) that have all types of things in them. :mrgreen:
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

robjvargas
Captain

Postby robjvargas » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:44 am

Some of the best fiction in history is considered best because it explores real life through fiction. It didn't have to be literally read to have relevance to real life.

I say fiction can be real, depending on the perspective you have in writing it.
Slowly putting together a "replacement" forum at http://writerswriting.proboards.com.

It's still under construction, but come take a look.

Brien Sz
Sergeant Major

Postby Brien Sz » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:26 am

You know what they say about good non-fiction... 'you can't make this sh*t up.'

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:39 pm

I wrote a lot of non-fiction in my earlier days, mostly for newspapers, both free-lance and as employed. And I about starved to death, even though I was paid for almost all that I wrote. Writing fiction was a dream for many years, and I finally started my first novel in 1996 and never looked back.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Crono91
Lieutenant

Postby Crono91 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:01 pm

The entire process of writing fiction is what I love.

Staying up late, tossing and turning in bed as I go through the numerous crazy scenes.

Thinking about it while driving.

Writing up unique plots that I wish I could read in novels.

I have worlds in my head, and I want to immortalize them on paper so that I can always go back to visit them. :D

Also, what another user said, I'm a psych major, so I read a lot of psychology, and enjoy taking real world concepts and applying them to a fiction world. Spices things up.
Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

Quoyle
Private First Class

Postby Quoyle » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:06 pm

Not sure what you mean by "writing real," but creative nonfiction is an excellent way of writing what is, or was, in a novel storytelling way. Many writers do it. They take an issue, or historical event, or social concern, such as food manipulation (I have never felt the same way about eating chicken since I read Margaret Atwood's book "Oryx and Crake), and write a story round it. Atwood also looked at a real convicted murderess in her book "Alias Grace," a case that had many puzzling inconsistencies, and asks the reader, "did she or didn't she?" Margaret Atwood is a social activist. She has a voice that is heard internationally, and she uses that voice to raise social awareness through her books. Jodi Picoult writes about difficult social issues, too, and though Laura Hillenbrand's book "Unbroken" is the real life story of Olympic runner, Louie Zamperini, it reads like a novel. Creative nonfiction is a great way to go if you want to write real.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:12 pm

Nonfiction gives you the facts, but fiction gives you the truth. I don't know how fiction messes up how you think about things, Good fiction is always about real life, real people, and the actual human condition, how things really are, even if that fiction is about vampires or werewolves. Nonfiction, no hyphen, dealing with the human condition is almost always just opinion, and doesn't allow the reader to make his or her own decisions.

But it's your life, and you should write whatever it is that makes you happy. But whatever you write, you still need to read a ton of fiction.

nhope
Lieutenant

Postby nhope » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:52 pm

All good points and a lot to think about. Sometimes things happen in life that make me wonder how I, or others, get through them and I feel I just want to "tell it like it is", and other times I think it would be believed more if it were written as fiction.

LMarriver
Private E-1

Postby LMarriver » Mon May 16, 2016 8:51 am

I enjoy the research part of non-fiction, but my mind is designed to wander and explore, and fiction is really the only way for me to untether my creativity.

Next

Return to Conversation question