[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Is B&N Stealing from You? They Are from Me. : Scams Beware • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Is B&N Stealing from You? They Are from Me.

Royalty Ridge
Private E-1

Is B&N Stealing from You? They Are from Me.

Postby Royalty Ridge » Fri Feb 12, 2016 3:41 pm

Unlike Amazon, who pays out the royalties owed you from Kindle sales—no matter how small the amount—on a regular basis to your bank account, Barnes & Noble pays no royalties for Nook downloads if the balance is under $10. They have owed me $8 in Nook royalties since 2011. Email messages bring a reply that reiterates their $10 balance. A direct letter addressed to the CEO more than a month ago has brought no reply of any kind.

It's impossible to think I am alone in this and quite easy to conclude that Barnes & Noble is ripping off thousands of new writers in this digital age of indie publishing where each of us are basically alone without a legal team in the room next to our home office. It is easy, also, to extrapolate that this policy of theirs touches upon all indie writers who have royalties due from Nook downloads of their works. Many writers publishing on their own often sell extremely few copies. But even others who have found any success at all will eventually find sale of their books dwindle to nothing and they too will then have a balance under $10 that will be held in financial limbo. Scratch financial limbo. I'm confident none of these royalty monies due me and others are sitting in an escrow account. No, they've gone into someone's salaries and are helping Barnes & Noble stay afloat.

If there others on this board of a similar mind and situation, please respond.... Royalty Ridge (aka Frank)

pls
Site Admin

Re: Is B&N Stealing from You? They Are from Me.

Postby pls » Sat Feb 13, 2016 10:48 am

Frank, I uploaded my novels to Smashwords, who in turn supply them to other venues - B&N, Apple, Kobo, etc. I let them handle the legal details.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

Royalty Ridge
Private E-1

Postby Royalty Ridge » Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:19 pm

I'll check them out. Thx.

Royalty Ridge
Private E-1

Postby Royalty Ridge » Sun Feb 14, 2016 12:53 pm

I should add that my real purpose behind my initial post was to call attention to B&N's practice which I find despicable, especially because they have no inventory to house when it comes to ebooks. Thus, I believe it's a deliberate policy to use the money of others for their own purposes. I for one no longer purchase anything from Barnes & Noble, online or from its bookstores. I hope that others will do the same and pass the word along.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Sun Feb 14, 2016 1:24 pm

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:41 pm

"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

Royalty Ridge
Private E-1

Postby Royalty Ridge » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:36 pm

A few remarks to the above responses:

1/ If you're not sure WD would approve of my opening statements, why express them? Wait until you are sure, one way or the other;

2/ My remarks made no mention of Amazon other than to state its policy of paying out amounts, no matter the sum. Your mention of them concerned other matters that only tend to muddy the original water;

3/ This isn't about my $8.00. This is about a company policy and if you think I'm the only author subjected to it, I've a bridge to sell you.

4/ Your retail store credit reference is of absolutely no merit. I'm a supplier, not a buyer, to B&N with the agreement they can sell my product and take a percentage of the sale for their efforts. There is no inventory, no physical storing of the book, and the cost of a single computerized transfer of money is minimal. Even my bank doesn't charge me for transferring money from one account to another.

5/ FYI, about a year ago the Big Honcho of the Nook program was replaced because Nook sales weren't at all competitive with the Kindle. Current efforts by B&N's Nook management aren't doing a whole lot better. This fact alone suggests why the policy I describe remains in effect.

6/ Finally, it seems to me the immediate reaction here was to doubt the writer and support the company. That's a strange response to find on a message board expressly designed for writers.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:40 pm

This mod's feeling is that we have a tempest in a teapot going here that has little to do with this site, the motto of which is "Write Better, Get Published."

Royalty Ridge
Private E-1

Postby Royalty Ridge » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:56 pm

Not at all. Think of all of us just sitting at a table and the matter came up. There's no heat intended here. I'm interested in the discussion of matters that affect writing and the writer's purse. Feel free to contradict me if you think I'm wrong or misleading. I'll listen and acknowledge when I think you're right and defend when I think you're not. We're not kids here. We're adults. It's a brand new world of publishing, much different from what it was when I was growing up. The root word "publish" is in the motto and to me that is much more than just stamping ink on paper.

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:45 pm

"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

Next

Return to Scams Beware