[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Judging credibility? : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Judging credibility?

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
Evie_Redding
Private E-1

Judging credibility?

Postby Evie_Redding » Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:36 pm

While searching Google for a question on inner thought and dialogue, I came across this website (The Editor's Blog). I thought about asking this question in the other topic thread in this forum, but I didn't want to derail the conversation.

It shows three options for said question I had, but my question is this: How am I to judge the credibility of a writing site?

It seems many people have differing opinions when it comes to writing, so I wanted to make sure I check reliable sources before applying new skills to my own work.

Thanks!

-Tanna

Oldtimer
Colonel

Re: Judging credibility?

Postby Oldtimer » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:38 pm

If there has been no traffic on that site since 2012, Tanna, I personally would steer clear of it.
Read samples of my Martian series (by Dorothy Piper) and two romances (by Joni Havel) on Smashwords.
Hard copies of all are on Amazon.

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:53 pm

There are indeed as many opinions on writing as there are writers. I personally don't pay much attention to writing blogs, but as with opinions on forums, you should consider whether or not the opinion jives with the books you enjoy reading. If the advice offered is polar opposite of what's done in books you love, then it probably won't work for you. And opinions/advice can offer opportunities to experiment; if something doesn't work for you, at least you gave it a try.

As to the voracity of writing sites themselves, I'd look at how they present their opinions/information. If they speak in absolutes, if they give you "rules", if they can't promote their ideas without tearing down those that disagree - it's probably not where you're going to get useful information/opinions.
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

Crono91
Lieutenant

Postby Crono91 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:17 pm

I totally agree with Shadow. Experiment.

Naturally, the novels you read aren't just for entertainment, but also think of them as textbooks. As you read books, always have these numerous questions running through your head, and make note of how that author did it, and see if you like it.

But everyone is different: for me, personally, since I tend to write in first person, I do not like having internal dialogue, since the whole book is already internal dialogue.

I think the only real rule for writing is: if you're going to break a rule, make sure you know the rule you're breaking.
Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:40 am

Dreaming Imrryr
Sergeant First Class

Postby Dreaming Imrryr » Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:51 pm

deleted
Last edited by Dreaming Imrryr on Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Crono91
Lieutenant

Postby Crono91 » Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:53 pm

Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:44 pm

kamalayka
Private E-2

Postby kamalayka » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:35 am

Return to Conversation question