[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Punctuation and dialog : Conversation question • Page 2 • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Punctuation and dialog

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
tkdubb
Private E-1

Re: Punctuation and dialog

Postby tkdubb » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:58 pm

timgoodwin
Private E-1

Postby timgoodwin » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:13 pm

Just be yourself allowing all others to do likewise and life will become something to behold.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:32 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:31 pm

timgoodwin
Private E-1

Postby timgoodwin » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:12 pm

Just be yourself allowing all others to do likewise and life will become something to behold.

tkdubb
Private E-1

Postby tkdubb » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:31 pm

I would like to begin by saying that I'm very grateful for all the suggestions and reminders. You guys have made me think about what and how I was doing things. Although I may have to work a little harder, and be more creative, it's making me a better writer in the process, and for that, again, I thank you all.

Honestly though, after taking a day to just browse around the internet and skimming through some books (ugh, books, they scare me), then going over my story again, it really isn't that hard to put in a few words here, change a few words there, and make it very clear that a thought is happening. If you can't be creative, then chances are, you will end up writing a story that reads like an instruction manual. :P

I'm a movie, video game guy. I have read tons of books only they have all been tech books on programming. My mind is fresh, like a child, when it comes to reading novels, I will soak up everything, so I'm scared that if I actually read a book, I may end up mimicking the style, and yeah, I don't want that.

So no " surrounding thoughts and no more italics, I did it, boys.

Last question on this subject
What about the dialog going on between the main character and the other personality in his head?
Same rules apply as thoughts? No " and no italics?
And same rules apply as normal dialog?
As long as it is clear who is talking, can you start dropping tags as long as you use some here and there so the reader doesn't get lost as to who is talking? Or, maybe even mention the name of the other person in the dialog itself here and there?

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:11 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:04 am

tkdubb
Private E-1

Postby tkdubb » Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:34 pm

Crono91
Lieutenant

Postby Crono91 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 7:57 pm

Actually, virtually ever book I've read (I cannot think of one that hasn't), people use, "O.K."

You cannot put "OK," because without the periods, OK becomes a sound, not a word, like "Oak."

However, I've always despised reading and writing "O.K.," because it always feels like the character is yelling, so I just put "okay."
Be proud of your mistakes when they form from blinding passion. But now edit them.

Previous

Return to Conversation question