[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Dialog question : Conversation question • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Dialog question

Every month in Writer's Digest's InkWell section, we pose a question related to the writing life. Tell us your thoughts.
tkdubb
Private E-1

Dialog question

Postby tkdubb » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:04 pm

I made an oops and posted this in a different thread at first. As I said in that thread, newbie alert, watch your heads.
So, I have been doing some browsing and read that when writers use anything other than "said for dialog, it drives the person reading it crazy and makes for a long read.
So my question is, is it ever ok to us "replied/s", "ask/ed", or "says"?
If it is ok, when is it appropriate, and how often can it be used before it becomes annoying?

kamalayka
Private E-2

Re: Dialog question

Postby kamalayka » Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:34 pm

"He/She said" is the most common tag because it's invisible. Other ones are ok if used sparingly and necessarily. I see it all the time in fiction.

However, I've always thought "he/she asked" was redundant. If a question is being asked, isn't it obvious?

Just don't do this:

"I'm scared," John shakily mumbled.

(That only works for Philip K Dick. In The Simulacrum, he had a character "squishily squish in the mud," or something like that.")

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:07 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:58 pm

When only two people are in a conversation, you rarely need any tag at all. Just use one often enough to allow the reader to know which one is speaking.

When more people are in a conversation, you still don't need to use a tag each time. You can introduce the character using action or description, or by simply writing something like, Ron paused before speaking.

When you do need a tag for identification, or just for rhythm, it's almost always best to use "said". There's very seldom a reason not to do so.

As always, pick up a novel by your favorite writer. Read it and count how many times he or she uses a tag other than "said".

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:21 pm

I typically go with "said" or no tag. I will use a different tag to get the right nuance if the context is ambiguous, but I try to steer clear of that whenever possible (without leading the reader by the nose).
"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:58 pm

When I tag, I mostly use "said." I will use "asked," because: "How old are you?" said John. looks odd to me. I never use a replied or a synonym, because that it always obvious.

OneBlindEye
Private E-1

Postby OneBlindEye » Wed Feb 03, 2016 6:18 pm

I find this dialogue very interesting as a novice writer!
I have noticed this in a lot of the stories and books on writing that I have read.
In my first manuscript I have tagged the lines in my writing with something other than said/asked/replied when I want to make sure the reader knows the character's precise feeling or state of mind. Out of nearly 20 readers thus far none have commented on the tagging.

onceuponwednesday
Major

Postby onceuponwednesday » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:00 pm

The Rule of Three

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:25 pm

RonnaJG
Private E-1