[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Agent vs online or self publish : General Questions & Discussions • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Agent vs online or self publish

TRPugel
Private E-1

Agent vs online or self publish

Postby TRPugel » Mon Jan 04, 2016 2:00 pm

Need to figure out if its better to push to get an agent or self publish online. Should I do one or the other or both? I know there are tons of published authors here who have done both routes. Advice is welcome.

Laycrew
Major

Re: Agent vs online or self publish

Postby Laycrew » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:04 pm

I don't that you're going to find a satisfying answer here. That is mainly because it is personal thing. Just what kind of work do you want to put into it? Self-publishing is more like being a small business entrepreneur. There is a lot of work besides writing your best work and putting it out there. It will sink fast if you don't do some things to help it float.

Finding an agent is daunting in a whole different way. If you are able to query successfully and land an agent, you aren't done yet. They need to find a publisher that will want to publish your book.

There are also small publishers. Some will look at you without an agent. There are pros and cons to that too. Sometimes small publishers can't compete so they fold and you're back to square one.

So you will have to research all these topics, Google is your friend, and determine which path is most agreeable to you.

For me, I've queried for about a year with a couple manuscripts with some agent bites. No representation. In April last year I started self-publishing. It's a tremendous amount of work but I have lots I can publish. I'm getting the hang of it. I'm also getting good reviews. Marketing is the hard part but I can say I'm making something from it instead of nothing. I can't complain. Maybe someday I'll trade publish. I do want to try Kindle Scout-put your work up for a month, see what kind of love it gets and if it gets picked up by an Amazon imprint. That is what is working for me right now.

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:51 pm

Considering that agents accept maybe one or two manuscripts out of the 10,000 or so they each receive per year, you could be waiting for 5-10 years for agent representation IF your stuff is publishable.
Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

shadowwalker
Captain

Postby shadowwalker » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:50 am

"It seems rather like wanting to be ... a writer, rather than wanting to write. It should be a by-product, not a thing in itself. Otherwise, it's just an ego trip." - Roger Zelazny

It's really not that hard. Just tell me a story.

Return to General Questions & Discussions