[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
Question about writing an essay. : FAQs • Writing Forum | WritersDigest.com

Question about writing an essay.

Frequently asked questions. Go HERE and read the first thread.
roda havet
Captain

Question about writing an essay.

Postby roda havet » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:55 am

It's been a long time since I have written an essay and those only had to be 2-4 pages long. Though I'm still trying to finish my novel I wanted to write either a short story or essay about a chronic medical condition that someone has to live with. Reason for this is to raise awareness about it, but I'm not sure about using the real names due to privacy laws of all parties involved. Though one of the parties has said it's okay to write about it but thought maybe of keeping their name out of the story.

Questions:
1. How long should an essay truly be?
2. Would it be okay to write about the real condition but use all fake names and places (for privacy law reasons)?
3. Should I give resources on where you can find the information I'm giving about the condition?

Note: I'll be using the info that I've seen personally about the condition, along with giving other info about it that I've researched.
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

pls
Site Admin

Re: Question about writing an essay.

Postby pls » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:48 pm

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Fri Jan 01, 2016 9:44 am

Pls thank you. But the reason for asking about using a real person name is due to hipaa laws in the medical field. Though I did talk with that said person and they told me it is okay to use their name in my essay. :)
[color=#00BF00]Dream to live, live to dream, and write to love, love to write![/color]

pls
Site Admin

Postby pls » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:37 am

Facebook page (Friend me!): http://www.facebook.com/TheHighSchoolNovels

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:39 am

They also wanted to raise awareness about this condition and it's a close family member. We both talked about it and this is one big way I can help them. :)

DrG2
Colonel

Postby DrG2 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:52 am

If you can use real names, the better.
In non-fiction, the writer's platform is important and being able to write: "this is based on my {insert family relationship} experiences as she related directly to me; I have seen much of this first hand and wanted to raise public awareness of this condition," would be much stronger than just saying you were interested in the subject.
If there are "bad guys" you may or may not want to use pseudonyms for them. If the insurance company refused to pay for treatment, I'd probably want to include that, particularly if you have access to documentation.

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Sat Jan 02, 2016 9:02 pm

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:01 am

Wow, with all the extra information I've found on top of what I already know, my research for this is going to take longer than I anticipated. But I don't mind because it is for a good cause. I guess let the research and info gathering continue, along with jotting down what I already know. :)

James A. Ritchie
Lieutenant General

Postby James A. Ritchie » Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:36 pm

I used to know how many different types of essays there are, but I can't remember. I can think of eleven, but I'm sure more exist. Each has it's own use, and it's own form. An essay should be as long as wherever you sell it to wants it to be. It should fall within their length guidelines. Other than this, there really is no standard length.

If you are writing as a practitioner, as a family medical anything, do not use a full, real name. This is one of the rare areas where you don't need to use a real name, and shouldn't. You can use something like "Mary D. Only a personal essay of this type should use a full, real name. How you obtained this information matters, and how you use it matters.

Anyway, it's tough to answer your questions because it all depends on who you are, your relationship with the subject, and where and how it will be published.

roda havet
Captain

Postby roda havet » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:00 pm

James thank you for the advice. The person the essay will be about is, well my husband. Who has been through a lot with his medical condition and he wanted others to understand how hard it is to live with such a condition. He also wants others to see how it affects those around you and how you should you do all the research you can about it. So I told him that I could try and type up an informative essay then find where it could be posted after I've finished it. There are still some things that my husband and I have to learn about with some aspects of it all. We just though it would be nice to give others the chance to have the resources they might need to help them along the way because we haven't really had everything at our fingertips. The both of us, mainly my husband has been doing a lot of searching on the net to find what we have learn most of all. I hope when this essay is complete that it helps others and their family/caregiver understand things a little more, since this info is coming from someone who has dealt with this first hand and seen what it can do. :)

PS: I've been trying to research the different types of essay but can really find all I need. I'm just going to start writing it and use the basic essay form then make any changes needed later. Though if anyone knows how I could get this published after it's finished would you please let me know? It may take until the end of January or beginning of February to get it all finished the right way.

Next

Return to FAQs